Thread: Plastic hanging strips as a door

Blog Entries

Plastic hanging strips as a door

Hi,

I need to widen a single door into my finish room to something wider. I was considering using some sort of industrial plastic with zipper or similar. I came across these industrial strip doors. Do you think they would keep wood dust out of the finish room?

Is there a solution besides using standard wooden doors? Prefer not to use two doors, if I can. I always though two doors are a bit goofy and put too much stress on the hinges.

Cheers,

https://www.strip-curtains.com/order...hoC2A0QAvD_BwE

We had these separating the loading dock area from the rest of the shop at a place I once worked. When you stood next to them you could certainly feel the cool or hot air moving from the other side, so they don't block air (and therefore dust) movement as completely as a solid door. If your finish room has ventilation to the outside it's likely there would be negative pressure that would suck air in through the slats. I'm sure they would be better than no door. Do you have room to hang a sliding barn door type door that would be full width? With brush type weather stripping I think it would be more effective. And if you slope the track a bit the door becomes self closing.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I would worry about them potentially damaging fresh finish if you cannot fully open things up to move project pieces in and out of the finishing area.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    All good points. I think the slider may be the way to go.

Argh. Workshop work is much less fun than building stuff for customers. Haha.

We need doors like Star Trek where they open automatically.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    We need doors like Star Trek where they open automatically.
    Bill D
    Yea, but they have to make "that sound", too...
    --

Blog Entries
    I'm going to keep looking. I'd actually like a roll up plastic door. I don't like the slider taking up valuable wall space or potentially blocking outlets.

Or.. maybe the best solution is two doors, but they will always end up sagging in the middle.

Blog Entries
    I know this isn't a long term solution, but just to get things moving I've been looking at these:

https://www.zipwall.com/product/zipw...ippers-2-pack/

I want the doors to be taller than normal too. I can see a longer term solution with a slider door (door opening dimensions don't matter, simple to customize to whatever size opening). I'll make a decision today / tomorrow and start demo'ing my doorway to make it wider and taller.

Maybe you can find a roll-up like i used for "carport" type buildings for bringing projects in and out of the booth and have a separate man-door for convenience between coats.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    I'm going to keep looking. I'd actually like a roll up plastic door. I don't like the slider taking up valuable wall space or potentially blocking outlets.

Or.. maybe the best solution is two doors, but they will always end up sagging in the middle.
    Google with "roll up plastic doors". There's quite a few leads. Some offer roll up plastic doors for interior use in manufacturing plants. One of them (https://www.steelguardsafety.com) offers doors and curtains specifically for paint booths. And, of course, there's overhead garage doors which you can buy at your local big box store. That might be the most cost effective.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    I know this isn't a long term solution, but just to get things moving I've been looking at these:

https://www.zipwall.com/product/zipw...ippers-2-pack/

I want the doors to be taller than normal too. I can see a longer term solution with a slider door (door opening dimensions don't matter, simple to customize to whatever size opening). I'll make a decision today / tomorrow and start demo'ing my doorway to make it wider and taller.
    Did you see the Zip wall magnetic door? Made for dust free, closes itself. They are pretty cool. Pricy, but worth it if you have to use the door a lot.

https://www.zipwall.com/product/zipw...oaAs52EALw_wcB