Thread: nice work chair around the shop and house.

nice work chair around the shop and house.

I discovered a nice chair to use for shop work and around the home for wiring outlets down low, working on cars etc. It is a lightweight aluminum and plastic shower chair for old timers. Inherited from my MIL. Adjustable height and solid enough to stand on. Cheap at thrift stores and easier to move around the junk on the floor then an office chair.
    Bill D

Have a picture?
    I have a short stool on my list to build.

Picture below. Sorry no wood included.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Medline-B...ll&athena=true

Interesting idea, Bill...they seem to be durable, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My low tech shop seat is a 5 gallon bucket with a Bucket Boss top. I cut a plywood disk and installed four office chair wheels so the butt bucket rolls around easily. I purchased five of the Bucket Boss stacking trays to store fasteners and other small objects inside the bucket, the contents change based on the project needs.

At Newport News Shipyard they call 5 gallon buckets Shipyard Lazy Boys.
    Not quite as comfortable as your chair Bill, maybe I should order one.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    My low tech shop seat is a 5 gallon bucket with a Bucket Boss top. I cut a plywood disk and installed four office chair wheels so the butt bucket rolls around easily. I purchased five of the Bucket Boss stacking trays to store fasteners and other small objects inside the bucket, the contents change based on the project needs.

At Newport News Shipyard they call 5 gallon buckets Shipyard Lazy Boys.
    Not quite as comfortable as your chair Bill, maybe I should order one.
    I don't know what I'd do without my "bucket seat" - an empty 5 gal drywall bucket. I use it all the time. When I need to move, it's light enough to scoot it over without getting up much. On occasion I've rolled it on one edge (still sitting on it.) But once I took it too far and the concrete floor became my new seat.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

I've used a bucket from time to time, Julie, for when I need to get "down low". The plastic step-stool I have in my shop now (originally in our kitchen but I, um...got paint on it...) serves the same purpose now and is more comfortable to sit on, too. I find I actually need multiple heights of seating in my shop.
    --

Blog Entries
    Years ago, a sheetrock finisher was doing some work on the ceiling at our first home down when we lived in the city. The ceilings were high enough that a step stool would be needed. This guy stood on the joint compound bucket and did this little penguin like movement and was able to nimbly move across the entire room, all while continuing to do a fine job on the ceiling work. I'm sure it wasn't the safest approach in the world, but it sure was fun to watch him motor around.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riefer View Post
    Years ago, a sheetrock finisher was doing some work on the ceiling at our first home down when we lived in the city. The ceilings were high enough that a step stool would be needed. This guy stood on the joint compound bucket and did this little penguin like movement and was able to nimbly move across the entire room, all while continuing to do a fine job on the ceiling work. I'm sure it wasn't the safest approach in the world, but it sure was fun to watch him motor around.
    I've seen the tapers do that on residential jobs. On commercial jobs, those empty buckets are scooped up quickly for breaks and lunch seating.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

I also have metal film can for a 35mm commerical movie. A little shorter then a 5 gal bucket. But it has a nice solid locking lid. I think it held 3 or 4 reels. It came empty never found any reference to "The legend of Khaupur".
    Bill D

I really like this rolling low seat, it is comfortable and has great casters on it. 2CF4B235-2FD6-4D63-8474-1EEDB31788C7.jpg

That's a nice option for "down low" tasks, Pat!
    --

My wife has one of these in the kitchen. I'm considering one for the shop. Rolls easily and has a vast range of adjustment.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1