Thread: Threaded insert intaller

Post Threaded insert intaller

This Neal Skokie made in Germany reversible tapping head is over 60 years old. It was tapped for a straight shaft so the Morse taper is gone. That is good but there is some run out which does not matter much with tapping and threading inserts. All I made is the not so flat tapped aluminum stop washer and the table.

Using a jig on a cordless drill worked ok for years but the heavy amount of torque needed for hardwood snapped off the drivers all the time. I do lots of threaded inserts!!
    Ask a woodworker to "make your bed" and he/she makes a bed.

Blog Entries
    One trick you can use on threaded inserts into wood is to drag the external threads of the insert across a lump of beeswax several times. Doing so will significantly reduce the torque required to screw the insert into the wood. Paraffin will work, but much less effectively.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Good tip Lee. I use soy wax. My son owns a soy candle business! But I use wax on the driver. I have plenty of torque to drive in with this setup. But the threaded driver can stretch the internal threads and back out the insert. Getting the right torque setting on the clutch is the key. Thanks
    Last edited by Gordon Stump; 04-05-2021 at 1:49 PM.

Very nice. I've done it on a drill press as well, but it was 3P and instant reverse. This is far more practical for most.

Tapmatic is a popular brand as well, and should be easy to find used. And Procunier. Probably not as common and always more expensive.

The inexpensive (<$10) installation tool sold by McMaster-Carr works very well on a cordless drill/driver.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Yes, but mine is bigger and has a video.