Thread: Project designed around one board

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Project designed around one board

As the title says this little project was designed around a figured cherry board. Recently reorganized my lumber shed and came across this piece I have been saving (hoarding) for quite a while. My goal was a piece that was visibly well joined with concisely fitted lid and well finished. Because the lid is confined in the case I was concerned about wood movement across the width of the lid. I dealt with this by cutting a small lap joint in the top so as to isolate any movement to that joint. Wooden battens would have been a bit clunky so I made the 3/16” thick brass battens to hold the top flat. I also made the lid stay clamps from brass as well and applied a patina’d finish to match the hinges. In summary it’s a hand dovetailed pine box with a figured cherry lid. Bottom is lined with rust red leather.

This little project was particularly satisfying given the tools used were either made by myself or someone I know. It’s nice to pick up a tool and automatically put a face to its origins.

Ron

12F2B74E-3BD8-4335-880A-D0B3CF676C03.jpg
    DFC71572-E842-4F92-8065-C8828DEF3250.jpg
    C681B272-E97C-4AE2-9289-B33DF66A7122.jpgFEE7ED92-CBC9-40CD-AB3F-19E61C63C6BD.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images