Thread: A new home for sockets

Blog Entries

A new home for sockets

The hinge on the original plastic box that held my 1/4" Craftsman socket set finally gave up the ghost and broke completely. I decided to make a replacement box. Just before I tossed the original box, I noted that the tray holding the sockets was a separate piece from the outside. It was already partially loose, so I removed it the rest of the way. I was able to make a box out of some scrap red oak that fit exactly around the plastic tray and would still hold the sockets in place by size. I was able to resaw some short pieces of 3/4" scrap to get enough material to make the 1/4"+ thickness material I wanted. Here's my new socket box:
    IMG_0769.jpgIMG_0768.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

That turned out very nicely, Lee!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That came out well! I love small, practical projects like that.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Great project, well done. We underestimate the skills to build a small piece like that. In the end, very satisfying. Every time I see a project like this, I think I really need to organize my many drawers of jumbled stuff into neat little boxes like these. Some day. Thanks for the inspiration.

No 10mm, I see.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    No 10mm, I see.
    That's in the metric set, which has seen less use and has real hinges instead of a molded thin plastic folding one.

Very nice box for that set. I am embarrassed to say that I have mine tossed into an old metal Craftsman tool box with a bunch of other stuff and have to dig through everything in the tray. Maybe I need to take a page from your book Lee.

Very nice Lee, makes you look very organized and I could sure use some of that

That is a great little storage box Lee. I can see someone inheriting that some day and feeling good about it.

I love how, with the patinaed tools, it looks like an estate sale discovery.

I like it! You don’t want to see my sockets. Time for me to copy your design.

Nice work!