Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laguna LT24 Bandsaw

Laguna LT24 Bandsaw

For those with a large Laguna bandsaw would you buy it again?

I’ve read a lot of the old threads but the reviews are minimal. Seems that the chief complaint about Laguna is the customer service. And I hate giving my money to a company that has poor service.

But my current focus is the Laguna at $5000 or the SCM 640 at $8000. Pretty big jump in price.

I know from old threads most folks are very happy with the SCM saws. Really curious if any Laguna owners will chime in?

I have an LT20 and think its a fantastic saw. Mine is from 2004, and i am the second owner. Im sure the 24 and 36 models are 10x more stout and capable. The 20 is nice for me, because 1) ceiling height, 2) i can run a 3/8-1/2" blade without changing out the guides, which makes this a great resaw and curve cutting machine for general furniture work. I dont know that a 24"+ saw would be as excellent of an all-around machine.

If both saws are ACM the price difference doesn't sound right. I'd find out the specs of each as there is no way SCM is getting 3K more for basically the same saw. ACM makes two series so make sure the Laguna ACM isn't the lighter series. Dave

Patrick,

Have you dealt with Laguna customer service at all? Ordered any parts for your saw?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    I have an LT20 and think its a fantastic saw. Mine is from 2004, and i am the second owner. Im sure the 24 and 36 models are 10x more stout and capable. The 20 is nice for me, because 1) ceiling height, 2) i can run a 3/8-1/2" blade without changing out the guides, which makes this a great resaw and curve cutting machine for general furniture work. I dont know that a 24"+ saw would be as excellent of an all-around machine.

David

I’m just basing it off both saws being listed as 24”. I believe the SCM has a much larger resaw capacity.

Maybe the 20” SCM is more comparable to the Laguna 24”. I haven’t gotten that far in my research.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    If both saws are ACM the price difference doesn't sound right. I'd find out the specs of each as there is no way SCM is getting 3K more for basically the same saw. ACM makes two series so make sure the Laguna ACM isn't the lighter series. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Griffey View Post
    Patrick,

Have you dealt with Laguna customer service at all? Ordered any parts for your saw?
    I dealt with Laguna CS once. I ran a resaw king(just received it back from resharpening) and cut about 4' of walnut, before a ceramic guide insert came loose and ruined the blade. I didnt expect anything, but messaged Laguna anyway. They told me to super glue the ceramic insert in place, and a week later i received a brand new resaw king. I didnt fly off the handle and make demands, they sent me the blade unsolicited. That was for a saw that was 12 years old at that point, and i am not the original owner.

This came up before. On these size/quality of machines, what parts do you envision you will need? Aside from tipping it over, i cant imagine a scenario where you would need to buy a new wheel, or replace the table trunnion.

I’ve bought a couple machines from Hammer in the last seven years. There’s always something that needs attention after the machine is delivered.

Customer service through Hammer was a nightmare. That’s why I’m asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    I dealt with Laguna CS once. I ran a resaw king(just received it back from resharpening) and cut about 4' of walnut, before a ceramic guide insert came loose and ruined the blade. I didnt expect anything, but messaged Laguna anyway. They told me to super glue the ceramic insert in place, and a week later i received a brand new resaw king. I didnt fly off the handle and make demands, they sent me the blade unsolicited. That was for a saw that was 12 years old at that point, and i am not the original owner.

This came up before. On these size/quality of machines, what parts do you envision you will need? Aside from tipping it over, i cant imagine a scenario where you would need to buy a new wheel, or replace the table trunnion.

I wonder how many resaw king blades laguna has given away to slow down or reverse the bad customer service rap they were given more then a decade ago.
    If I were in their shoes that’s what I would do the same.
    They used to be in Costa Mesa out here in California. If I remember correctly they moved that store that sharpens blades to N Carolina.
    I used to have a 16 inch bandsaw that worked fine I sold it. For a bigger one.
    I met a woodworker David wade that has a 24 inch laguna saw it was very impressive. I left his shop feeling less than.
    Since the used market is pretty thin right now I suggest you get it.
    Good luck
    Aj

I have a LT18. It replaced a Grizzly G0513x2. I bought it over the G0701 because with tax and shipping the Grizzly was more expensive. The saw is ok. I am not overly impressed for the money. I have a Laguna HD shaper which I love. My one time dealing with customer service was when I had some questions before I bought the shaper. They couldn't answer basic questions about it. The manual had pictures of the Powermatic in it. That was about 5 years ago.

No dog in this fight but I’ve delivered about eleventy-million big bandsaws. To the OP, as long as you are getting the Italian version, the only thing that could go wrong is the delivery part. If the machine arrives safely, there won’t be anything to worry about. Bandsaws are about as simple a machine as there is and Italian ones are kind of dummy-proff to work on. Hope this helps,

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

LT is a mixed bag at best on customer service.

They made their bones on combo machines and Italian bandsaws, sadly they no longer sell combos and Italian bandsaws seem to have been relegated to the we’ll sell ya one if you really want pile.

If strong CS is a priority, best look elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    What's odd is that none of Laguna's models are advertised by ACM, only their "Jolly" and "BS" series machines: https://www.acmitaly.it/macchine/seghe-a-nastro-1?

From looking at Laguna's site, there is the 24x17 and the 24x24
    I'm guessing the picture is of the 24x17 and the 24x24 isn't the one pictured, and the latter being a much taller machine?

Apart from the column of the new line of Laguna's being tapered, It looks like similar build to the ACM star/SNA 600, but the table is heavier looking with that deep slot compared to the shallow one on mine.
    The trunnion has a rack and pinion compared to a simple bolt for locking the table.
    It has a foot brake, and what looks... to be removable tires compared to vulcanized ones, and the guides aren't the traditional ones.
    My saw weighs 280kg, so guessing the saw would be a good bit heavier with those parts.

I have a friend that has one of their 24” models. I don’t know a whole lot about it but he also has a 24” Grizzly which he likes a lot too. I could ask him his thoughts on the Laguna and post them this evening or tomorrow. I have another friend that runs a large Northtech bandsaw and it I have used some. It has more power than I can ever imagine anyone needing. It is the best bandsaw I have ever used. Can resaw in a production environment.

Laguna used to mention the saws from Italy in their write up but I don't see that now. I'd ask who makes the saw. If it is still ACM it is the Star series based on the wheel dimensions so not comparable to the SCM saw. I would not rule out a decent Taiwan machine. Bandsaws are pretty simple machines. Balanced wheels and a strong frame are most important. Some of the Extrema stuff isn't bad. Dave