Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Convert Jointer Guard from European bridge style to American Porkchop Style

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Thank you, Joe! Much appreciated. I used one of these on Chris Hall’s Martin jointer, it was great!
    Those work well Brian. I had a chance to use one on a Jointer in a shop were setting up a window machine. It was a busy shop and looked like it held up well. Nice that it doesn’t stick out. That is the one downside to the Suva but you get used to it. The big plus to the Suva is it adjusts to any position quickly. My old SCM jointer had a pork chop guard that worked pretty well but after using the Suva overhead for facing I prefer facing in that mode.
    When we set up the shop in Bhutan they had a Griggio jointer with the standard euro bridge guard. I did not care for that one mainly because you had to adjust it every time the fence was moved. And it sticked out a lot.

9F04AB63-520F-4C30-8F2E-38C59A9B9CCC.jpg
    I even use the Suva when power feed facing. With my reduced work load now I usually just hand face with the overhead guard and have a couple sizes of push blocks near to use when needed.
    DD642BF5-923B-457F-A57D-8090981F36B9.jpg
    Suva can also be used for facing using a hooked push block and applying pressure at the side. This leaves a bit of the cutter open with wide boards before the start of cut. This is where the folding pork chop guard would be better. Bottom line is developing good safety habits no matter what guard you use.
    F4D99268-2FC9-4F1F-944B-BC9BFE4BC583.jpg

Blog Entries
    I agree, good habits trump any guarding especially on a jointer where exposure to the blades is impossible to avoid.

I have students, so a fast retracting guard is helpful for after they make they cut and need to reposition the board.

Love when an O.P. asks a question never to return.

Being that he has a Robland, and to my knowledge, they don't support a pork chop guard - he's goin to have a difficult time retrofitting one. Even if he want to bore the cast iron deck, I think the adjustments for the sliding ways will be in the way.

Blog Entries
    Joe,

The german company responded today and now I have one on order. Costs about $610 incl shipping.

Thanks again!

Brian
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Brian can you give us specifics of what you bought and from what company?

I prefer more of a Filet Mignon type guard

Robert there is more freedom to work the machine and the material with no guard. The guard systems are flawed in different ways in design, maybe flawed the wrong word, its not an easy design for what it needs to do for industry.

People have been hurt still that use guards and some dont set them up right. If you lift your hand over the cutters for a euro guard why can you not do that with no guard. Just lift your hand up over to the outfeed. That was how we were taught but likely had pork chop guy at the time, its useless at the end of cut anyway. You cant drop on with either of them. Not really an accurate statement you can pull it out of the way to drop on but then you still have no guard at that point.

Wood over the knives is a guard. Someone needs to put time into a serious redesign for people who want to get the best out of machining, maybe there isnt one.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 04-07-2021 at 11:45 AM.

I agree with Warren. Couldn’t have said it better
    Aj

Blog Entries
    Bernie,

I purchased the guard we have been discussing.

I also agree with Warren but given that I have students, I'd have a lot of explaining to do about taking the guard off if anything happened, so I'd rather just have a good guard.

Joe,

The german company responded today and now I have one on order. Costs about $610 incl shipping.

Thanks again!

Brian
    Ahh you beat me to it! I received quotes back last night, and was about to update everyone. Insanely low price for what i imagine to be the peak jointer guard design. $553 for the 510mm guard and $78 in shipping to the States.

I was just about to ask for clarification on what the price includes. Did you clarify that already? Does it include the spring mechanism etc? Im trying to determine what fabrication is needed on my end to mount the guard to my machine and ensure it operates correctly. If its just a matter of making a mount and bolting it to the machine, then im all over this for $631

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    Ahh you beat me to it! I received quotes back last night, and was about to update everyone. Insanely low price for what i imagine to be the peak jointer guard design. $553 for the 510mm guard and $78 in shipping to the States.

I was just about to ask for clarification on what the price includes. Did you clarify that already? Does it include the spring mechanism etc? Im trying to determine what fabrication is needed on my end to mount the guard to my machine and ensure it operates correctly. If its just a matter of making a mount and bolting it to the machine, then im all over this for $631
    I assume just the guard, but I'm not sure. I'm also wondering about the fabrication but whatever it takes I will do.

I assume just the guard, but I'm not sure. I'm also wondering about the fabrication but whatever it takes I will do.
    Alright, please post about it once you receive it. You are going to be my guinea pig, because i know you posses 25x the metal fab skills i do.

Joe, once again, thank you for the heads up on the supplier.

I got really excited about the segmented guard that flops over the edge of the table-- then I priced one. $825 plus shipping from the UK. Yikes! I was ready to go several hundred, but up at that range the Suva is only another factor of 2.5 and looks really slick . I may continue to be irritated by my oversize pork chop for a while.

Brian, did you receive the guard? Curious how you fit it to your machine and how it operates in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Isn't there also a Euro style guard made of segments (along the lines of the pork chop you show) so the segments drop down in front when the guard is retracted for edge jointing thick stock, rather than sticking out into the walking path? That's pretty much my only complaint with the euro style guard.
    My Felder has one, but it still sticks out a little. But better than all the way.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.