Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Beginner Miter saw to Buy for my son (Dobbby)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    A miter saw is hazardous, a space hog and not really necessary. A band saw should be way higher on the list.
    A band saw is a very valuable tool, but not intended for crosscutting a board. Frankly a small table saw would be more versatile, it can rip and crosscut.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    +1 on the hearing and eye protection! Miter saws, like routers use universal motors that are very noisy. Also, miter saws are prone to flinging bits at high speed in unpredictable directions.

You may have purchased a saw already and I think the input you already got is good but I will add my 2 cents. I have two miter saws and use them both. I first purchased a 10 inch single bevel saw, I think it is a Pro-Tech brand. A no name. It is a simple little saw that is pretty light. It cuts accurately and it is my normal saw for doing trim work. All the manufacturers make a saw like this and Hitachi is often less expensive than other brands and is still a nice tool. It is limited to about 5.5 inch crosscut. But to cut up 2x4s or 4x4s it would work well.

In my shop I keep a 12 inch double bevel Hitachi on a long bench and use it for crosscutting within it's 8 inch capacity. If it wasn't so heavy I would use it for trim but it is heavy. It is sometimes nice to be able to bevel either way but as long as you have plenty of space it is typically possible to just use a single bevel tool.

Sliders are more expensive and require a different technique to use correctly (and thus safely). You need to slide them out, then pivot downward, then push back towards the fence. If you do that, they are fine for safety. But the mechanism that gives them more crosscut capacity adds flexibility that is not good for accuracy and also adds cost and weight. I wouldn't recommend one for a first crosscutting tool.

My main reason to comment is even though I have a bigger more capable CMS that I use more now, I still value my old cheap 10 inch single bevel. It would not in my opinion be a waste to start with one and see how long he wants to make sawdust. The 10 inch will do a lot of things well.

Last comment - nothing that can but through wood is entirely safe. I have scars on my right index finger from a CMS. You need to use proper technique and in my case stop when you are getting tired (before you do something stupid).

I hope your son enjoys the hobby - safely.