Thread: Food safe and heat tolerant finish

Post Food safe and heat tolerant finish

Here is a new one to me for the collective wisdom of the group.

The wife is doing a craft with pizza paddles that she is going to want me to put some kind of sealer on it (there was some specific reason for the sealer rather than raw wood like normal). I am wondering what to use. There are plenty of food safe finishes, but I'm not sure which ones would be oven heat resistant and hot pizza safe. The paddle would just be for pizza insertion and removal, although the hot pizza sitting on the paddle for a while is a possibility.

I think most film finishes like shellac and varnishes would not work, but I don't know that for certain. Would maybe a oil based cutting board finish work or maybe straight tung oil, or is there some other better option? Thanks!

All finishes are food safe once, completely cured. Stumpy Nubs just did a video on this. As far as best finish for your paddle. I don’t know
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

I wouldn't (and haven't) use any kind of sealer on a pizza paddle except flour, cornmeal and pizza grease! They get used and abused and look better with some age.

As to "doing a craft with pizza paddles" -- are they being turned into something other than a useful pizza paddle? If that's the case, use whatever.

Otherwise go naked and eat pizza.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

No finish is needed, but if one is demanded then I think the best option is food grade mineral oil. It won't prevent staining but it won't impart any taste nor be damaged by heat. If that's not acceptable then I'd look at high temperature penetrating epoxy.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Young View Post

Otherwise go naked and eat pizza.
    This sage advice transcends woodworking.