Thread: Cedar Pergola

Cedar Pergola

I'm using rough cut Eastern Cedar to build a pergola. The shape is like two dove tail joints butted together so it's wider in the middle. My layout uses a single, 4@ 2 x 10 beams spanning 13'-9" (which includes a 1'-6" cantilever overhang) attached on top of 6 x 6 posts. 2 beams on one side of structure and 2 on the other is side forming the shape.
    My rafters (butted into the beam and lagged screwed) are 2 x 6's spaced 16" oc. My rafters vary in length because of the dovetail layout ranging from 14'-0 to 9'-9" in length. I'll be using 2 x 2's across the rafters 24" oc. All dimensions are true to size, 2 x 10 beam measures 10".
    Question: Will my longest rafters sag? Is there a concern of beam torsion or twisting?

It seems likely they will sag over that span. The sag may be livable. The beam overhang is not much of a cantilever either.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

3. Here in Atlanta the big lumber suppliers have engineers at the lumber yard that you can consult with for free and can calculate proper spans and required dimensional lumber size. Might be worth looking into.