Thread: installing an after market rip fence system onto a 1965 Craftsman 10" table saw #113

installing an after market rip fence system onto a 1965 Craftsman 10" table saw #113

To all vintage Craftsman table saw owners, I am in need of recommendations for an after market rip fence system for 10" bench style table saw, model number 113.29901.
    I posted a previous message about upgrading issues regarding the blade alignment and reducing vibration and received many good suggestions, most of them that I'm in the process of completing.
    My concern this time is to those who have had success mounting an after market fence system to the table which is 27' deep. I would prefer one that I could purchase as a complete kit, so to speak, but would entertain constructing one from component parts (i.e., Very Cool Tools).
    Let me know the company that you purchased the fence system from and any guidance to mount the "L" brackets for the fence that requires drilling holes into the caste iron table sides, front and back.
    I know some of the fence systems are expensive, but I've improved my precision cutting, both cross cutting and rip cutting, with the upgrades I've accomplished to date. I am trying to avoid a big investment in an expensive new table saw.
    Please provide your experiences and recommendations.
    Thanks ahead of time!
    Mark Mrsa

I don't know specifically about that saw, but think you can make most fence rails fit if you're willing to drill.

But as new fences can be quite expensive, you might want to keep an eye out for a used Biesemeyer type fence. You can likely make it fit, and spend a lot less.

Blog Entries
    I have a 113.298720 saw. I added a Biesmeyer fence to it 20+ years ago and don't regret it one bit. I had to drill one hole in the saw for it to fit, all the other holes lined up. The Biesmeyer fence is a great fence and it locks down parallel every time.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schwabacher View Post
    I don't know specifically about that saw, but think you can make most fence rails fit if you're willing to drill.

But as new fences can be quite expensive, you might want to keep an eye out for a used Biesemeyer type fence. You can likely make it fit, and spend a lot less.

this is a pretty good bang for the buck
    https://www.amazon.com/Delta-Power-E...7312919&sr=8-9

Got any welding skills? If so, consider building a Biese Clone. That's what I did. The tubes and angles are stock sizes. The only specialized piece is a 5/8" X 2" piece of steel. Metals Supermarkets will cut and sell you the lengths you need.

I put the Delta T-Square fence (formerly the Biesemeyer Home Shop Fence - Delta bought Biesemeyer) on my Craftsman saw. It was a simple install and was a major improvement.

I installed a 52" Vega Pro on my Unisaw/Craftsman side by side saws. No issue with the install after I got the two saws at the same height and the fence works great.

John

Before I got my SawStop, I had a Craftsman 10" saw and put a Biesemeyer fence on it. I bought the SawStop without a fence and moved the Biesemeyer to it. Installation on both was straightforward. It's been a long time so I don't remember the details but I remember it wasn't very difficult.

Mike

Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I put a 52" Vega on a late 80s/early 90s Craftsman and love it. Had to drill a few holes but it was a pretty painless install for me.
    It's called golf because all the other 4-letter words were taken

I had the same saw and put this fence on it. When I bought a G1023 cabinet saw it came with a crap fence. Mule fence went on the G1023, crap fence went on the Craftsman saw and sold. The rail for the Mule fence is aluminum but bolts right to the edge of the saw so there's no flexing. I used dowel centers to mark the existing holes and drilled the rail. Make sure the rail is parallel to the saw top but that's true of any fence.

https://mulecab.com/M1040Rip.html

Stout, repeatable, like the slots on the sides and top for jigs. The only maybe downside is the fence does not lift off the saw, it has to be slid off one end.