Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mobile Device????

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    Jim just mentioned the Surface, but the iPad Pro has had mouse capability for a little while, too, making it very similar. I have not tried adding a mouse to my iPad yet (Pro, 10.5”, bought in late 2017, I think), but I do have a Logitech combination case and keyboard that works quite well, and the keyboard is magnetically attached, so it’s quick to remove. The case then has a back support that allows for a wide range of tilt angles.
    This sounds interesting. I think Keith just mentioned it too. Will look into this.

Now the other question comes into play. WiFi I assume is the need. How and where do I get this and are there packages that you select??
    John T.

John, you will need to have WiFi available for anything that gets done online, although iPad and some other devices are also available with support for Cellular data on the carrier of your choice.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    John, you will need to have WiFi available for anything that gets done online, although iPad and some other devices are also available with support for Cellular data on the carrier of your choice.
    An alternative to Cellular enabled tablet or notebook computer is to use a phone (& plan) that allows your phone to function as a hotspot. This has proven very adequate for what we do when away from our (notebook) computers.

In fact, on a family vacation out of the country (so our phones didn't work or were crippled), the extended family rented several dedicated hotspots (same thing, but no talk or text functionality.) My wife, two adult daughters, and I shared one. I never noticed a problem and I'm sure movies were streamed by one daughter and the other had a work project and was uploading high res drawings. (None of the other families expressed problems with their hotspots either.) I wouldn't want to interactively game with this set up, but for email, webpages, eBook downloads, YouTube & Netflix video (at tablet resolution) it worked well.

To do this you enter a mode and basically connect whatever you want to your phone using WiFi and let the phone handle the cellular data transfer. Last time I looked this was pretty common with most phones and the several US cellular plans allowing it out of the box. (Many years ago it seems like most phones didn't have the functionality installed and most of the plans forbid doing it. If you were discouraged once, check again.)

That's true, David. When I was traveling extensively for business, I did use my phone as a hotspot for security reasons, rather than "free" WiFi in hotels, etc. Not everyone's carrier account (and sometimes phone) supports this, however. I don't pay extra for it on T-Mo currently, for example. because my need disappeared upon retirement.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

When traveling we typically buy a country specific data-only SIM for my wife's ipad than use it as a hotspot for our phones and laptop if we bring one. They tend to be cheaper than phone SIMs for relatively large amounts of data.

I agree with Lisa, determine what you want to do with it.

I recently set up a desktop in the shop with dual monitors and good audio system. I also use a laptop, and an iPad. I put in the desktop to support 3D printing but found I use it for far more. It's a joy to use, excellent at video editing or anything I throw at it. I'm typing on it now.

As for portable/mobile:

LAPTOP: A windows-based laptop has been my primary computer over the 15 years since I retired and shut down my software and graphics design studio - doesn't take up much space, not to hard to take on vacation and such, and powerful enough to substitute as a desktop for cad and graphics and even video editing. I'd recommend one with plenty of SSD (solid state drive) space and lots of memory. I run the same software on both and keep data synchronized with the desktop. Limitations compared to are screen size (if you are used to a desktop with a large screen), battery life away from an AC outlet, keyboard compromises.
    My last three laptops were Dell, the most recent and most powerful a refurbished Dell business laptop.

TABLET: I'm on my 3rd iPad - I use it a lot for wifi internet access, news, occasional videos, weather, Facetime with the grandkids, pandemic zoom meetings, streamed events, and as an art tablet with the amazing Apple pencil. Extensive typing with a touch-screen keyboard is a pain so I got a physical keyboard with trackpad that snaps on if I want to use it for email, messages, and such. It is so inherently portable to carry around the house and takes up almost no space. Fits easily in any briefcase or backpack making it easier than the laptop to take on airplanes, car trips, etc. My Lovely Bride fills hers with maps and plans when we travel, especially overseas. I can monitor my security cameras even from the middle of Italy. Limitations are screen size, the on-screen keyboard, applications, memory, data space, and like a laptop, access away from wifi. Also, if used to a windows desktop you might be frustrated with the way Apple dumbs things down, hides data, limits system control.
    My oldest son uses his iPad with his video/photography business when away from his studio workstation and prefers an iPad Pro; the iPad Air models are close in features but cost less.

If you read a lot, some portable devices work will with Kindle apps. And at least some Kindles like the Fire are advertised as android tablets for internet access but IMO worst than useless for that. BTW, I have an actual android tablets but don't like it compared to the iPad and haven't even charged it in a year.

Your apparent opinion of a smartphone as a general-purpose mobile device is like mine. I don't use it for web or email or even GPS or weather except rarely. I mostly use it for phone, text messages, camera. (And sky maps!)

One thing about mobile - if you want to use a device away from wifi you may want to get one with cellular access and pay an additional monthly access fee. We bought one like this but found cellular access wasn't as necessary as we imagined and turned it off. When traveling we were usually close to wifi. Depending on your carrier it may be possible to access the internet away from wifi through your phone.

BTW, if you haven't done so, consider setting up a printer on wifi. We print from any desktop or mobile device in and around the shop or house.

JKJ

I use my Kindle Fire for internet access and works fine. I am confused by "worst than useless" comment. I use my Kindle in the shop, while working on a car, etc. I use the videos on it to watch how to videos.
    Last edited by Larry Frank; 04-03-2021 at 8:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I use my Kindle Fire for internet access and works fine. I am confused by "worst than useless" comment. I use my Kindle in the shop, while working on a car, etc. I use the videos on it to watch how to videos.
    Internet access is very slow over WiFi. It's fine for reading.

So maybe there is something wrong with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Internet access is very slow over WiFi. It's fine for reading.

So maybe there is something wrong with mine.
    FWIW: Many versions have been offered, probably a older lower model versus a newer higher model. I remember the reviews of the first model, seems like it was pretty awful except for reading color books from your Kindle library. (Regular Kindle was crisper and had much better battery life for B&W books and a real Android tablet was significantly better for anything requiring CPU processing. IIRC.)

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    I always had only a desk top computer so have very little knowledge of mobile devices and probably the terminology too so bear with me. What would be better to get, laptop, chromebook, Ipad or something else and please not an Iphone. What makes one better than the other and maybe a recommendation as to brand. Thanks.
    I am going to assume you need a general purpose device.

I would suggest getting a small screen (<15") laptop with Windows 10. Spend a little extra and get one where you can upgrade RAM and Disk. I can elaborate on this if you decide to go laptop route. Along with laptop, buy a simple dock, monitor, keyboard and mouse. This will allow you to retain desktop experience and have a mobile device.

I use two laptops. At work it's HP and for home it's a Dell. Both make good machines but I like Dell more aesthetically. Work laptop gets replaced every 3-4 years and home laptop 5-6 years.

PXL_20210404_052403976.jpg

This is my desk setup. I swap laptops based on what I am doing. My dad switched from desktop to laptop and uses similar setup with single external monitor. Goes without saying, add external devices only if you need desktop feel.

I have no idea what is wrong with John's Kindle.

I just ran a speed test with mine and 240 Mbps download and 11 Mbps upload. This is the service I am paying for. I also have a mesh wifi system.

I can watch movies with it and no lags.

My Kindle is a couple years old and is a Fire HDX 8th generation and the new ones are 10th generation.
    Last edited by Larry Frank; 04-04-2021 at 7:21 AM.

I get a magazine for "plain" communities and was dumbfounded to see that many Amish and Mennonite have computers and both text and email capability without full internet connections. Must be some sort of cellular option. Since some Amish sects have permitted off grid electrical power systems their world has been revolutionized.

Thank you everyone. Just to let you know I am reading all of this. I will look into many of these options for sure. I like the idea to be able to use a keyboard because that is what I am use to. A real mouse too.
    John T.

Blog Entries
    I guess I could say that I have three computers.

—I have the big desktop with duel 30” monitors that takes a while to boot up. I used that for work before I retired and fire it up once a week.
    — I have my smartphone with which I have a love hate relationship. It stays with me.
    — I have an iPad for what I call “casual computing.” I use it much more than the others. When we are watching a movie and wonder about some actor, it’s easy to look them up. Or maybe I want something and get on the iPad to order it online.

ive never tried a different tablet. We’ve had the iPad for around 7 years and it’s still going strong other than the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rutherford View Post
    I agree, although I wouldn't rule out another desktop unless you need the mobility. In our house one of us has a degree in Computer Science and the other is a former IBM Systems Engineer. She uses a 10-year-old Gateway desktop. Mine is homebuilt and 2-3 years younger **. Both originally used Windows but now run OpenSuse Linux. I'm not going to try to talk you into Linux right now.

I don't think laptops make good desktops although adding a real keyboard, monitor and mouse help a lot. On the other hand, desktops aren't portable at all if that matters to you.

There are times I'd like to have a tablet (running Android) for easier web surfing while sitting at the table or watching TV, but we get along without it. IMO cell phones are too small for decent web access unless that's all you have.

If you get rid of your old computer, someone you don't trust might end up with it. Consider physically destroying the hard disk so none of the information can be retrieved. Simply deleting things is not enough. The old PC isn't worth anything anyway although you might be able to use the keyboard, mouse and monitor.

[** Edit: Both computers have newer and bigger monitors. Mine has 2 of them. The screens and the web connection seem as important as anything else these days.]
    Re passing a computer on simply deleting the data is not enough. I've used DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke) on spinning hard drives. It can take some time depending on the size of the hard drive but is approved for DOD wipes among other standards. I don't know about SSDs, I wouldn't be surprised if those are easier to make irrecoverable.