Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mirka

Mirka

Finally bought a Deros, I've been using Dewalt, Makitas and various others, I'm amazed at the difference. I should have bought this years ago. This is a 6". Any negatives to these (except price)?

20210331_173738.jpg

i have a bunch of sanders, including a bunch of festool. the mirka deros and deos are my favorite two sanders, hands-down. the deros is just awesome, especially with cubitron paper.

--- dz

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Finally bought a Deros, I've been using Dewalt, Makitas and various others, I'm amazed at the difference. I should have bought this years ago. This is a 6". Any negatives to these (except price)?

20210331_173738.jpg

I've been thinking about getting a Deros, but have heard horror stories about an electric cord problem.
    Anyone experience this?
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Schoenthal View Post
    I've been thinking about getting a Deros, but have heard horror stories about an electric cord problem.
    Anyone experience this?
    What is the problem, I haven't heard of one? I had heard that there was a hose compatibility issue when using festool hoses, but my little festool hose worked just fine to hook to the ct26. Someplace I'd seen a Mirka with a transformer (I think) in the cord, this Deros does not have any such thing, just a cord that solidly attaches to the sander. It's as long as that festool hose, and plugs directly into the auxiliary plug on the vac. All good so far.

My wood supplier started carrying Mirka, they talked me into autonet instead of abranet. Said it's exactly the same, but a little cheaper. Figured I'd give it a try, too soon to rate, but it the 150 I hit that hard maple test board with sure worked fast and did an excellent job.

David Z, I'm not familiar with cubitron paper, is it a Mirka product?

I have the Ceros, which has a separate transformer. The disadvantage is that there is one extra item to connect. However, the advantage is that the machine is smaller and lighter.

I use Mirka Abranet mesh. This is fantastic, and the dust control is incredible!

When I first got it, I used it with a Festool hose (below). The Mirka hose is so much lighter, and this is the one I now use.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    I use the Deros, it’s great. No problems.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I bought a 6" Deros when it first came out. After several years of use apparently a number of internal parts in the power transmission broke. I sent it back for repair (out of warranty) and they sent me back a brand new one, no charge. So, I'm sad that it broke (I don't use it all that heavily), but the customer service response was fantastic.

In all, I'd rather have an on-off switch than the paddle activation (I'm always triggering it while trying to change sandpaper), but it is a fantastic sander to use. I find the hook and loop attachment often fails when running at top speed with coarse papers like 80 or 120 grit (I use Abranet, so not actually papers), so I generally use it dialed back a notch. You will want to use an intermediate pad as they recommend, as the aggressive action is hard on the velcro.

Roger, do you use an interface pad between the paper and the foam core pad? I do this and have no trouble sanding at high speeds with 60 grit on my ceros. For other reasons, I get better results at slower speeds with very coarse paper, but when I occasionally go higher, the interface pad seems to work better and is more disposable than the actual pad.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Schoenthal View Post
    Anyone experience this?

THe only problem is that it doesnt use festool cord. And if you are on a festool extractor its kind of annoying, especially if you are working off a long hose with cord wrapped together like I am.

I actually bought mine from europe in 110. It came with a strange plug on it but I rewired the connector on the unit to a festool plug-it. This worked out great. I was scared to ditch the ground but it is running fine i have a few hours on it with no issues. The only reason I bought it this way is because I got the kit with 5 and 6" pads, a mirka hose, 4-5" abranet, and 204 6" abranet. All for about 100 less than the best price i found for the sander alone.

I had been running 150 rotex and 125 ets ec. Mirka is by far more comfortable I just have to get over putting sander down on its top.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Roger, do you use an interface pad between the paper and the foam core pad? I do this and have no trouble sanding at high speeds with 60 grit on my ceros. For other reasons, I get better results at slower speeds with very coarse paper, but when I occasionally go higher, the interface pad seems to work better and is more disposable than the actual pad.

I had started with this installed but found it hindered dust collection.

Hmm, not at all for me. I've been using mine for > 4 years. No issues with dust collection whatsoever. If the holes are aligned there is zero diff.

I'd rather have an on-off switch than the paddle activation (I'm always triggering it while trying to change sandpaper)
    Roger, you have to get into the habit of switching it off when you put it down. Otherwise it is so easy to touch the paddle and set it running.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I just got the AirVantage model, which is essentially the same sander...... I've been using it on and off for about a month now. I had to buy the Deros threaded hose adapter to use my Festool Midi, and it works, but the 'new' Festool hose ID is 17mm. It's a bit of a wresting match to get the hose over the Deros hose adapter. The hose adapter sales pitch claims to work with Festool hoses, but I'm pretty sure they are talking about the older, 19mm hose.

I think I may end up buying a different hose. One specifically for use with this sander. Kind of a PITA though, seeing how I really don't 'need' to be tripping over another hose.

The paddle switch is nice, and not so nice at the same time. Convenient and comfortable, but it also restricts freedom to hold the sander anyway a person may desire that you have with a toggle type switch. I'm still getting used to it...... And, changing paper without hitting the paddle is nearly impossible, at least it is for me. So I'm training myself to just turn the thing off when changing paper.

The AirVantage also came with a 5 hole pad, and all my paper is 8 hole. I bought the Mirka 8 hole and life is good there now.....

I have the Porter Cable version of this hose:

POWERTEC 70175 Dust Collection Hose with Fittings Plus Two Reducers

The end of my hose threads right into the CEROS adapter.

I've used the Deros for several years with the Mirka hose. Pain to have to change the hose but the Fein hose does not stay on well for extended use, for quick jobs its ok. I use Abernet exclusively on the Deros with the protector pad and only wish I had bought the 6 inch model.