Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mirka

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Roger, you have to get into the habit of switching it off when you put it down. Otherwise it is so easy to touch the paddle and set it running.
    Absolutely. Sadly at this point in life, training myself to new habits is increasingly difficult. The switch in mine takes a fairly determined push so I have tended not to use. it.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Roger, do you use an interface pad between the paper and the foam core pad? I do this and have no trouble sanding at high speeds with 60 grit on my ceros. For other reasons, I get better results at slower speeds with very coarse paper, but when I occasionally go higher, the interface pad seems to work better and is more disposable than the actual pad.
    I've been using these: https://www.mirka.com/Interface-150m...ck-8295650111/

If there's a better choice I'd be happy to try them.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Hmm, not at all for me. I've been using mine for > 4 years. No issues with dust collection whatsoever. If the holes are aligned there is zero diff.
    Agree with Prashun. I've never had any issue with the the interface pad obstructing dust collection.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

go to 2sand.com

It's under:
    mirka-5-abranet-pad-protector-qty-5

These look slightly diff from yours but this is what I bought. Price was good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    I've used the Deros for several years with the Mirka hose. Pain to have to change the hose but the Fein hose does not stay on well for extended use, for quick jobs its ok. I use Abernet exclusively on the Deros with the protector pad and only wish I had bought the 6 inch model.
    Is this the hose you use? https://2sand.com/mirka-4-meters-vac...se-min6519411/

I have a Bosch hose that I tried using prior to buying the Festool Midi. Does anyone know if the Mirka hose end adapter be bought separately? I think it might fit the Bosch hose I already have.

of those with the 6 inch, do you have the 650CV 5mm orbit (MID 65020 caus) or the 625CV 2.5 (MID 64520 caus)? Which would you recommend for cabinet and furniture work??

Thank you, Patrick

I use a Ceros with the Fein vac and its hose. I originally used the Fein rubber adapter with a multi-step end, but later found that one wrap of tape around the sander's port makes it fit just fine, sans adapter, which is intead used for the Domino.

Its been a good sander

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Drew View Post
    Is this the hose you use? https://2sand.com/mirka-4-meters-vac...se-min6519411/

I have a Bosch hose that I tried using prior to buying the Festool Midi. Does anyone know if the Mirka hose end adapter be bought separately? I think it might fit the Bosch hose I already have.
    i do not know if that is the hose I have. Mine came with the sander as a package deal. It is a narrower diameter then the Fein hose and the end is made to slip on the Deros easily and tightly

I have a couple Mirka Deros 6" with different orbits, I use for site work installing Corian acyrlic solid surface. I use Abranet ACE and Abralon abrasives attached to the shop dust collection system and absolute love the lack of airborne dust. I wish Mirka was available 20 years ago.
    In the shop I use Dynabrade air sanders of different orbits with Mirka backup pads and interface pads. Personally I prefer the air but for site work the Deros is awesome. Very well balanced and can be used using finger control only.
    As a woodworking cabinet shop that build my own doors from rough lumber. Mirka abrasives does not work well for raised panel doors, it tears up the edges of the disc causing swirls in the finish. PSA works better for doors!

John, thank you much for the practical insight. All of my doors are raised panels, so good to find out now rather than towards the end of the project.
    Best, Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Agree with Prashun. I've never had any issue with the the interface pad obstructing dust collection.
    When I put the pad on mine, it took a little fiddling because the holes only line up in one position. Lots of holes, took a few tries to find the right position.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    of those with the 6 inch, do you have the 650CV 5mm orbit (MID 65020 caus) or the 625CV 2.5 (MID 64520 caus)? Which would you recommend for cabinet and furniture work??
    I have the same question: Are people using the 5 mm orbit or the 2.5 mm models, and for what? Which is preferable as an 80/100 grit and up all-arounder, assuming no need for heavy stock removal (my belt sander and elderly Rotex take care of that). I'm assuming it's the 5 mm but is that correct?

Maybe a dumb question, here, but why not the Festool ETS EC 125 which is ~$200 cheaper?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Maybe a dumb question, here, but why not the Festool ETS EC 125 which is ~$200 cheaper?
    Just my take, I'm underwhelmed by the Festool tools I have, so when the option to just have my wood supplier throw a Mirka on the truck, I took it. My price wasn't $200 more for the 6", I paid $600 for the sander and 4 boxes of autonet, and two backer pads, so sander only probably has the Deros at $75 more or so. I wanted the Deros ergonomics too instead of the "standard" electric ROS feel. The Deros really does feel like an air sander, well until you plug a hose into it anyhow. For the record, I'm not judging anyone's Festool preferences, it's just that I haven't had good luck with Festool.

Gotcha, Steve - thanks. Just curious because I recently was choosing between the Deros and Festool and ended up with the Festool mostly because of price (there is apparently a trick where you can buy the 5" Festool for $425 and put a 6" pad on it, because the 5" and 6" sanders are identical otherwise)