Thread: 5000 Watts Step Up/Down Voltage Transformer

5000 Watts Step Up/Down Voltage Transformer

Hello ! I have seen many people say they cannot get a tool with 220v because they did not have the power requirements - cannot blame anyone, I have thought the same. Recently, I asked Harvey Industries if a Step Up/Down Voltage Transformer could be used on 110v to run a 230v bandsaw, I received email back saying it would work. Has anyone here tried this method ?
    Thanks

The biggest restriction is the amount of current (amps). You will need twice the current. Even if you have a 20 amp 120v circuit with nothing else on it you will have only 10 amps at 240v. It's very rare to have more than a 20 amp 120v circuit. Most motors that can run on 10 amps at 240v can be rewired to run on 120v.

Power (watts) is volts times amps. A transformer can increase or decrease voltage, but if you increase the voltage, you decrease the amperage (and vice versa).

A 3HP 240V bandsaw, for instance, requires ~13A. If you used a step-up transformer to generate 240V from a 120V circuit, that would work, but would require twice the current from the 120V circuit (since you have half the voltage), or 26A to produce the same 3HP of power.

A 120V circuit capable of 26A would require larger-gauge wire than a 240V circuit capable of 13A. Hence, it's generally more economical to use 240V circuits for larger (>~2HP) loads.

Thanks for replies ! Would likely need upgraded service here or run separate meter service @ outbuilding, power line/pole is right by there close.

Depending on your power provider, there may be a monthly fee for the second service...
    I originally had a separate meter on my shop. When it became possible to specify where
    your power comes from, just having a second meter was costing me over $45 a month
    extra and that was over 10 years ago... So I ran power from house to eliminate second meter..
    Paid for itself in 3 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Aumiller View Post
    Depending on your power provider, there may be a monthly fee for the second service...
    So I ran power from house to eliminate second meter..
    Paid for itself in 3 months.
    If you need to keep with amount of electricity used in shop, you can purchase your own meter, and put in the feeders from house panel. Read it yourself the same day as your house meter is read. We do this for a well pump that is supplied from panel in rental house. Pump furnishes water to multiple houses, and a church. Wouldn't be fair for renter to pay for this electric service.

230V? single or three phase? And Hz in your country is it the same as the saw motor?
    Bill D

Check with your local utilities company. When I built my shop, the utility company charged $0 to bring 230/240 single phase service to the service entry gooseneck for my shop. I I stalled a 200 amp breaker box, wired the shop, got it inspected and they installed the meter in my meter box,ran the wires and made the connections.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    230V? single or three phase? And Hz in your country is it the same as the saw motor?
    Bill D
    In USA - Harvey Ambassador 14'' bandsaw lists 230v on specifics, single phase.