Thread: tenon cutter recommendation for rustic projects?

tenon cutter recommendation for rustic projects?

Folks - I have a number of outdoor, rustic style projects on my to do list this spring, and I'm looking at tenon cutters. There seem to be a number of makers of these, some quite pricey. I'm intending to make such things as an arbor, a mailbox post, and some benches, using the eastern red cedar which I have in abundance on my property. The stuff seems to last forever, so there are quite a few dead standing trees that I intend to utilize.

I'd appreciate any thoughts, reviews, recommendations, etc on which of these tools to buy, how to best use, and so on.

Thanks -

Ken P.
    Granby, CT

i have the Lumberjack Tenoners and they are fun to use. Built an arbor for a neighbors wedding, a trailhead and fireside furniture. I bought them separately and got the countersink as well. If you will be making larger projects you may just want the 1 1/2" or 2". I haven't used the 1/2" much didn't get the 2"er but could have used it. I used spade bits for the mortises and the countersink makes a nicer looking joint but kind of spendy. I used leftover Trex decking screws to secure the joint--the head of the screw disappears in the bark. Good luck.

I bought mine from Lee Valley Tools.

Thanks for the info. What sort of drill did you guys end up using? I went ahead and bought a set of the Lumberjack tenoners - Lee Valley was out of most sizes until August. The Lumberjack site had a specific recommendation for the drill, and said not to use a cordless or a hammer drill. I get that the cordless might be underpowered, but I've got a nice Dewalt corded 7 amp hammer drill, has a side handle, and I'd like to use that if possible (hammer function turned off, of course).

Also, what did you use for a log holder? I couldn't bring myself to buy the one they sell, figuring surely with all the woodworking stuff I've got, I could cobble something together.

Thanks -
    Ken

Congrats Ken,
    What sizes did you buy and what projects are planned--level of finish--bark on, etc. I used my cordess Dewalt drill on low speed with spade bits. Be mindful of the bit grabbing and torqueing your
    wrist and thumb. I have a 4 x 8 layout table that I position the verticals on and overlay the horizontals to layout the mortise location and angle then cut and tenon the horizontals. I will try to send
    a pic of the wedding arbor.

John, I got the "Pro" set of 1", 1.5", and 2". The first project, and reason for getting the set, is an arbor for a trumpet creeper vine. It's been on a cobbled-together trellis I made years ago (also from ERC) which is kind of falling apart - I'm amazed it lasted this long. At this point it's 50-50 if the vine is holding up the trellis, or the other way around - the whole shebang is tilted about 30 degrees off vertical. So I've been tasked with redoing the whole thing, but bigger since the vine has also overgrown the trellis - which is about 3 foot square and 9 feet tall. I'm planning to make something about 5 feet wide, 10 feet long, 9 feet tall (and prune the vine a bit - I think it's pretty indestructible) I'm figuring 3 uprights each side, each tenoned into a rail running the length each side. Probably 2-3 cross pieces at the top, tenoned into that long rail. Then, some lower-down horizontal pieces, just going by what looks nice to my eye.

I'm planning no finish, bark on- ERC has a nice looking bark.

Yes, I'd gotten the definite impression that wrist torque would be something to watch out for. I have a bad right wrist anyhow, so I'm always careful about using hand-held drills and similar stuff, it's easy to tweak my wrist and then it's ibuprofen for days.

I figure I'll set up some sort of work table in the garage, or perhaps work on the floor. I hate doing that, too much up and down for my joints' liking - but with something of this size, it might be my best option. Lots of pads spread around on the floor helps. I'd like to see that wedding arbor if you can post it - I can use all the ideas to look at as I can get.

Ken

Hi Ken,IMG_0482.JPGIMG_0479.JPG

I used ratchet straps to adjust and hold parts together to get alignment then screwed joints with the small headed decking screws 'til the head disappeared. I used larger timberlock lags
    for the big joints. Good luck. John

John, those are beautiful. I hope I can do as well. Thanks.
    Ken