Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replacement lace hooks for boots?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    I’ll be traveling through Ohio in may. Is Kiem worth a stop? Do they have tools I can’t find elsewhere? I looked at their website and there’s not much there besides the wood (which is impressive!).
    Yes they have tools and some of them are even built for the Amish. Like a gas powered circular saw. Also there is Hartville Hardware I think Kiem has more tools then them though I used to shop both places when I was in business. I liked Kiem better as they gave a 5% discount on cash and at that time Hartville didn't have a discount.
    Last edited by Jerome Stanek; 04-05-2021 at 9:31 AM.

I’ll be traveling through Ohio in may. Is Kiem worth a stop? Do they have tools I can’t find elsewhere? I looked at their website and there’s not much there besides the wood (which is impressive!).
    You can easily spend a couple days and a lot of money in that part of Ohio. Lots of Amish furniture stores along with leathercraft and anything else. Fantastic food along with some not so good. Walnut Creek Der Dutchman broasted chicken is well worth the wait(up to 1 1/2hr at lunch time) go early, 11am. Heini's cheese, Guggisberg award winning Baby Swiss cheese, Troyers farm market, all worth the trip. Lots of quilt shops and antique shops for the better half. Just don't expect much if anything on Sunday.
    Kiem lumber, Lehman's Hardware, Hartville, Mt Hope for gas refrigerators among other things. Shows, etc this area is set up for tourists. Lots to see and do.
    Amish Country Visitor's Guide | Ohio's Amish Country
    Ron

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Yes they have tools and some of them are even built for the Amish. Like a gas powered circular saw. Also there is Hartville Hardware I think Kiem has more tools then them though I used to shop both places when I was in business. I liked Kiem better as they gave a 5% discount on cash and at that time Hartville didn't have a discount.
    that would be something to see. I thought they did a lot with compressed air. I’ve seen a compressed air powered ice cream freezer. Very expensive. Teenagers are much cheaper but higher maintenance.

that would be something to see. I thought they did a lot with compressed air. I’ve seen a compressed air powered ice cream freezer. Very expensive. Teenagers are much cheaper but higher maintenance.
    Also use hydraulics, common to see a diesel stationary engine driving a compressor and a hydraulic pump
    Ron

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Nope.
    My boots are straight laceups.

I'm forever snagged on speedhooks.
    my problem with my current hooks is that the lace doesn’t pull tight smoothly. They are cheap stamped metal. The part of the hook where the lace lives is straight so the lace goes over two corners. as the lace gets tighter, the resistance goes up. It’s a struggle to get the boot tight enough so the lace doesn’t come off the hook.

They should be cast or machined to be round like the old blocks on sailing ships.

Blog Entries
    I haven’t read the whole thread, but eBay is my go-to for this kind of thing.
    8C48063C-A904-4F77-AE1D-87E0A87A65D2.jpg