Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement lace hooks for boots?

Replacement lace hooks for boots?

I broke a speed hook on my boots by trying to spread it a bit to allow a thicker lace. They're just cheap pot metal. The local shoe repair guy admitted all he had was just the pot metal hooks. Can anyone recommend a good quality steel replacement? Something I can spread a bit without breaking?

Thanks!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Blog Entries
    Is there a Red Wing shoe store in your area? My shoes of that brand appear to have steel & brass speed hooks.

Is the hook made in such a way for filing would open up the gap enough?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I get to brag about my big vocabulary. The little thing on the end of the Shoelace is called an aglet.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Is there a Red Wing shoe store in your area? My shoes of that brand appear to have steel & brass speed hooks.

Is the hook made in such a way for filing would open up the gap enough?

jtk
    Hi Jim, we do have red wing stores. I didn't know that until you posted the question. Called one. They will only repair their own products and will not sell the hooks. Nice to know they're here. Will check them out the next time I'm in boot shopping mode.

Did not consider filing the front off the hook off. Will have to look at that closer this evening. Thanks for the idea.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

maybe something like these? they look bent instead of cast.

https://www.amazon.com/Fujiyuan-eyel...219836&sr=8-54

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I get to brag about my big vocabulary. The little thing on the end of the Shoelace is called an aglet.
    Bill D
    "Phineas and Ferb"?

Try an Amish shoe maker It is a nice trip to Amish country and you could stop off at Kiem Lumber and get some tools

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herman View Post
    maybe something like these? they look bent instead of cast.

https://www.amazon.com/Fujiyuan-eyel...219836&sr=8-54
    Thanks Adam. I missed those when I looked at Amazon. Says they are bronze so they should be a little pliable.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Thanks Jim. Have you used these?
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Try an Amish shoe maker It is a nice trip to Amish country and you could stop off at Kiem Lumber and get some tools
    I definitely need to get to Kiem. Never been. But,, I've been a bit hard on the bank account recently so no more tools for a while. Trying to figure out a way to swing a new shop.
    Brian

Blog Entries
    I followed the Amazon links and saw some Tandy Lace Hooks that looked pretty good. I might just replace mine. The cheap stamped hooks on my boots are shredding the laces.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Thanks Jim. Have you used these?
    Nope.
    My boots are straight laceups.

I'm forever snagged on speedhooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    I followed the Amazon links and saw some Tandy Lace Hooks that looked pretty good. I might just replace mine. The cheap stamped hooks on my boots are shredding the laces.
    Yep, same problem here with the thicker laces. Just looked at the Tandy hooks you mentioned and I agree. They do look better than anything I've looked at. So it looks like Tandy is out of the nickle plate hooks, but Amazon has them. I guess I'll have to get a setter kit too since I've never done this before.
    Brian

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    I definitely need to get to Kiem. Never been. But,, I've been a bit hard on the bank account recently so no more tools for a while. Trying to figure out a way to swing a new shop.
    I’ll be traveling through Ohio in may. Is Kiem worth a stop? Do they have tools I can’t find elsewhere? I looked at their website and there’s not much there besides the wood (which is impressive!).