Thread: IRS Auction Shipping

IRS Auction Shipping

Has anyone shipping from an IRS auction remotely, and, assuming so, how did you find a shipping company to go and pick up the equipment, and deliver it? (Along with the COI etc) Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by derek labian View Post
    Has anyone shipping from an IRS auction remotely, and, assuming so, how did you find a shipping company to go and pick up the equipment, and deliver it? (Along with the COI etc) Thank you!
    There was a thread a few weeks ago asking a similar question.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ction-shipping

Thank you, SawMillCreek search failed me, no results for "IRS Shipping"..

I had a very bad experience with MachineryMax (IRS competitor) and you need to read the "click to accept" contract. The MachineryMax contract essentially absolves them of any liability. Their employee put a 1500 lb very expensive machine on a very light weight pallet which broke during shipping, machine fell over and was destroyed. Maximum liability per the contract I "signed" is the auction premium. I no longer plan to buy remote unless I hire a very well insured machinery rigging company to rig and load. Or I can pick up myself

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    I had a very bad experience with MachineryMax (IRS competitor) and you need to read the "click to accept" contract. The MachineryMax contract essentially absolves them of any liability. Their employee put a 1500 lb very expensive machine on a very light weight pallet which broke during shipping, machine fell over and was destroyed. Maximum liability per the contract I "signed" is the auction premium. I no longer plan to buy remote unless I hire a very well insured machinery rigging company to rig and load. Or I can pick up myself
    I echo that feeling. I just find it hard to trust a random non-woodworker to load and palletize heavy WW equipment for freight transit. If it doesn't get properly strapped down to the pallet then it'll probably get damaged. If they do strap it down, are they going to know where to strap so as not to cause damage to the machine? Just too much to worry about for me, so I'd either have to pick it up myself or pass on the purchase.

I don't trust any of these places to prep and ship machines. Given my experience in this area I either pick up the machine myself or hire a rigger.
    Riggers may look expensive, especially with a heavy machinery, but when it's all over they are not. Riggers will do things right, have insurance, and you will receive your machine in good order. They'll even install the machine if you want.

Regards,

Phil
    Last edited by Philip Glover; 03-31-2021 at 9:55 PM.

I hired a rigger for a 16' copy lathe I bought on eBay. I used Google to find them, and got an estimate before bidding. They were great. But what went south for me was working with Freight Quote dot com. They told me I used the wrong freight code and under estimated the weight by 300 pounds on a 3,300 pound shipment, after it was delivered. I didn't know the riggers would build skids that would carry a tank. 4x4s and 2x6s. It cost me dearly. Freight Quote's contract tells you they can make adjustments after shipping if there is a mistake made by you, and they jump on that to make money. They have your credit card number for payment, so no fighting the price charged after the fact as well as the contract you signed. Hard lesson learned. Be really careful with IRS. They are known to jack up the "handling" after the auction, just to move a machine to the loading dock!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I hired a rigger for a 16' copy lathe I bought on eBay. I used Google to find them, and got an estimate before bidding. They were great. But what went south for me was working with Freight Quote dot com. They told me I used the wrong freight code and under estimated the weight by 300 pounds on a 3,300 pound shipment, after it was delivered. I didn't know the riggers would build skids that would carry a tank. 4x4s and 2x6s. It cost me dearly. Freight Quote's contract tells you they can make adjustments after shipping if there is a mistake made by you, and they jump on that to make money. They have your credit card number for payment, so no fighting the price charged after the fact as well as the contract you signed. Hard lesson learned. Be really careful with IRS. They are known to jack up the "handling" after the auction, just to move a machine to the loading dock!
    I wasn't successful in using them or I think it's Uship when I needed log siding and carsiding shipped from Pennsylvania. Believe it or not the best rate came from YRC. Half what a hot shot wanted. I would be leery of someone half way across the country rigging a machine for shipping as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    I wasn't successful in using them or I think it's Uship when I needed log siding and carsiding shipped from Pennsylvania. Believe it or not the best rate came from YRC. Half what a hot shot wanted. I would be leery of someone half way across the country rigging a machine for shipping as well.
    The riggers I hired in Phoenix were top notch. They built the skids, took the two pallets loads out of the closing business, and loaded the skids into a freight truck to head to Peoria, IL from their yard. They took pictures along the way and were excellent with communications. The only surprise with the weight of the skids, after I had already signed up the load pickup with Freight Quote. In hindsight, I would have added 500 pounds to my estimate and asked Freight Quote to tell me the freight code. I'll never order machinery again, so can only pass along the info. At 68 I better start looking at ways to start moving machinery out!

The voice of experience...... have your lawyer on speed dial.

I contacted IRS about it and they recommended someone:

Roger Ernst
    Associated Freight Consultants
    800-748-1516
    roger@888shipyes.com

I contacted him and he identified a rigging/shipping company that would load/deliver with a lift gate.

Should have quote today.

Quote Originally Posted by derek labian View Post
    I contacted IRS about it and they recommended someone:

Roger Ernst
    Associated Freight Consultants
    800-748-1516
    roger@888shipyes.com

I contacted him and he identified a rigging/shipping company that would load/deliver with a lift gate.

Should have quote today.
    Add at least 30% to their quote so you will be prepared when they call after you sign a contract and they start working.

Here are pic of the delivery on the machine I talked about early in the thread. This was not Machinery Max. For the machine pictured the auction company employee agreed to make sure there was solid blocking under the machine feet and he assured me that he palletizes all the time and he knew how to do it. The pallet was soft wood, deck thinner than 3/4" but he did "beef it up" with a piece of 1/2" thick MDF

I do intend to buy online again but I will either hire a separate insured rigger or pick up myself. In fact I just bought a 32" Northfield bandsaw at a MachineryMax auction but it was for an auction that was 10 miles from my home so I was able to pick up myself.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've never had IRS ship anything but I have bought from their auctions. I've seen plenty of tools ready to be shipped when picking stuff up. Usually large equipment like wide belt sanders. I didn't spend lots of time looking at how well they did but I'm usually pretty good about seeing something that just stands out as wrong. No matter how well something is packaged it can get destroyed in transit. I'm sure the vast majority of items shipped make it just fine but the ones that don't is what you always hear about.

What it comes down to is how much did the item cost. If you've spent $20k on a tool that either you need or was a steal of a deal then spend the money to give you the best chance of it making it in one piece. If it's something that's not expensive and the cost to have someone you feel is competent to get it to you pushes the price to above it's value then your choice is really don't ship it. I've seen plenty of tools that I would have bought if they were close. Only the person in question can decide what it's worth to them. Once you have a quote for shipping I would set my maximum price based on that, the cost of what the item is worth to me, any sales tax, loading fees, and auction fees. I would then add another 25% for the unexpected. I would also make sure that it was insured for the total cost. If it goes beyond that then move on.