Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uvex Bionic Face Shield

Uvex Bionic Face Shield

I have a Trend Airshield Pro for my bigger stuff and sanding but found the subject mask (S8510) for about $20 at Amazon - seemed like a bargain to me (it's going on sale for $50 at Rockler April 2nd).

Thats a great deal - the two options I know of for these are the anti-fog coating and the Z87+ impact rating - according to the listing on Amazon, it has both. I haven't seen them for less than $39...

I love my bionic shield. Bought it about 10 years ago and it has served me well
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    I have a Trend Airshield Pro for my bigger stuff and sanding but found the subject mask (S8510) for about $20 at Amazon - seemed like a bargain to me (it's going on sale for $50 at Rockler April 2nd).
    I bought two of those at about $36 (for myself and students/shop visitors). At the current price I just ordered another one.
    I like the light weight compared to my Trend.

You might consider spending the savings on a spare replacement shield or two, either the standard polycarbonate or the anti-fog version. I haven't needed to replace one yet but it's nice to have one on hand.

BTW, Uvex makes excellent safety glasses as well. I use some in the shop and mowing, etc.

JKJ

Sometimes Amazon does crazy pricing just because and you can get great deals. But they also don't do a good job policing their marketplace / 3rd party sellers and too often have counterfeit items. Carefully check the reputation of the seller, even if the item is shipped by Amazon. I'd rather pay a little more for a shield that I was sure met it's claimed spec. (OTOH- if I didn't already have a Uvex Bionic Shield, I'd be all over the listing to see if I felt comfortable with it's seller. That's a great price.)

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    Sometimes Amazon does crazy pricing just because and you can get great deals. But they also don't do a good job policing their marketplace / 3rd party sellers and too often have counterfeit items. Carefully check the reputation of the seller, even if the item is shipped by Amazon. I'd rather pay a little more for a shield that I was sure met it's claimed spec. (OTOH- if I didn't already have a Uvex Bionic Shield, I'd be all over the listing to see if I felt comfortable with it's seller. That's a great price.)
    The seller is Amazon - you don't feel safe buying from them?

The seller is Amazon - you don't feel safe buying from them?
    Generally yes. As I said, the problem is primarily with 3rd party sellers, which if you don't think to look closely are also "at Amazon".

Well, thank you for making me spend some of my hard earned dollars......
    As mentioned, not often you see the face shield for less than 40 bucks. I do know why, it's not the best of what they offer. It's not anti fog and hardened and all that. That replacement insert is 20 bucks alone. Yes, I bought another unit and a replacement shied glass.... I do like that shield. Now I have 3 of them....

If you don't have one, this looks like the time to jump in...... It's a good shield.

I have the Uvex, hardened and "fog proof". I liked it, but did make me hot at times. I have since switched to this:
    https://pekesafety.com/products/powe...rticulate-papr

No more masks or hot headgear. I keep the uvex around for visitors.

I use a PAPR when turning. I had the bionic and it is a good shield, however I bought the Selstrom and liked that shield better. It has a better vision than the bionic.

https://www.amazon.com/Sellstrom-S38...%2C176&sr=8-14
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    Well, thank you for making me spend some of my hard earned dollars......
    As mentioned, not often you see the face shield for less than 40 bucks. I do know why, it's not the best of what they offer. It's not anti fog and hardened and all that. That replacement insert is 20 bucks alone. Yes, I bought another unit and a replacement shied glass.... I do like that shield. Now I have 3 of them....

If you don't have one, this looks like the time to jump in...... It's a good shield.
    I'm no expert on these but for the S8510 I see this description on the Honeywell website:

Face Shield with Suspension
    Clear Polycarbonate, Anti-fog/Hardcoat Visor, Black Matte Shell

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    I have the Uvex, hardened and "fog proof". I liked it, but did make me hot at times. I have since switched to this:
    https://pekesafety.com/products/powe...rticulate-papr

No more masks or hot headgear. I keep the uvex around for visitors.
    Tom, can you wear over-the-ear type hearing protectors with that powercap? I like the Bionic, but prefer to wear muff style hearing protectors, and they don't fit over the bionic headband.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Paul, fwiw, not sure about the Peke unit, but with the Sundstrom PAPR, I got ear muffs that clip to the helmet...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Tom, can you wear over-the-ear type hearing protectors with that powercap? I like the Bionic, but prefer to wear muff style hearing protectors, and they don't fit over the bionic headband.
    Yes. I wear a pair of 3M bluetooth cans. The fit nicely.

Behind the Head ear muffs may be helpful to some--i use 3M's Peltor 105's with the Uvex Bionic and they fit easily. Comfortable to me. 3M's website doesn't do a good job of showing the head strap, but Amazon's pics are good.
    earl