Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your general location

One thing that drives me crazy is that people deliberately post stuff that used to be (semi-)private for the whole world to see and then go full state-secret about stuff that used to be (semi-)public.

In the not so distant past, a big book of street addresses and phone numbers of everyone in town would show up on my driveway every year. Now people think they should burn their computer and start over from scratch because their email address showed up in some database in Estonia.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    That seems like a lot of paranoia if you won't even set a password recovery question. They are only trying to protect your account. A lot of sites will no longer allow things like your mother's maiden name. i hate a lot of the security questions because I don't have answers to them. I have never been married, have never had a pet (even as a child), and no children either.
    These answers by definition are supposed to be simple to remember - and - relatively simple to guess.

Before two factor authentication started to get adopted, these were one of the simple ways to get into anyone's account.

Its not whether a website has good intent, it about whether they have means to protect data they collect. Since it's usually not easy to ascertain, it's better to not collect or provide any unnecessary data.

Quote Originally Posted by Anuj Prateek View Post
    Its not whether a website has good intent, it about whether they have means to protect data they collect. Since it's usually not easy to ascertain, it's better to not collect or provide any unnecessary data.
    You apparently prefer that anyone can reset your password to a website without any authentication?

You apparently prefer that anyone can reset your password to a website without any authentication?
    There are alternate means. Reset link is pretty common. My preference is websites use any of the big Open ID providers.

That seems like a lot of paranoia if you won't even set a password recovery question. They are only trying to protect your account. A lot of sites will no longer allow things like your mother's maiden name. i hate a lot of the security questions because I don't have answers to them. I have never been married, have never had a pet (even as a child), and no children either.
    there is no rule you need real answers for such questions. You just need an answer. Use any name you wish (and will remember) for nonexistent children. Hackbarth would be memorable and certainly not traceable to you (Well, it might now be...).

When my Mom worked on the Manhattan project in Tennesse during the war The People from Berkeley called it Podunk. The FBI told them that was too obvious and would draw attention from spies. I think they just called it "the job site" from then on.
    Bill D

Such question are made to get more data about you. I do not think that moderators and owners of this forum use this data somehow. But a lot of other websites can gather this data for some statistics or to manipulate with your data. And if you do not want to share your location or any other info you can be sure that if someone wants to know where you are he can use any sim card location tracker to detect where you are and learn all other important information.
    Last edited by Bobby Fletcher; 04-07-2021 at 7:20 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    In the not so distant past, a big book of street addresses and phone numbers of everyone in town would show up on my driveway every year.
    Hmmm.. You made me realize that I haven't seen a phone book for about 5 years. Good. Those things went straight to the recycle bin. At one time, I tried to get off the distribution list and failed. Well, I tried anyway...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    Hmmm.. You made me realize that I haven't seen a phone book for about 5 years. Good. Those things went straight to the recycle bin. At one time, I tried to get off the distribution list and failed. Well, I tried anyway...
    So many people with cell phones have canceled their land lines it can be costly to get phonebooks to only those subscribers with landlines.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    In the not so distant past, a big book of street addresses and phone numbers of everyone in town would show up on my driveway every year.
    There are people, maybe even here on this forum, who don’t know that you could get an “unlisted number” for your “landline”. Those were the days.

There was 'unlisted', which meant you're info wasn't in the phone book, BUT an operator could look you up-

And there was "unpublished", not in the book AND operators could NOT look you up.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    Yellow Pages were great before the Internet. They were even still good in the early days of the Internet before a lot of stuff went online. Some days I miss being able to find a plumber or whatever by simply opening the Yellow Pages. Now days you have to watch out for all the websites online that are national services that only refer you to a local plumber, electrician, etc.