Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your general location

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Your general location

I wish it was required to post your general location on your profile...
    I have "Shenandoah Valley in VA" on mine... it gives an area that
    you can relate to, etc....
    NOT an address, just a general area...

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Aumiller View Post
    I wish it was required to post your general location on your profile...
    I have "Shenandoah Valley in VA" on mine... it gives an area that
    you can relate to, etc....
    NOT an address, just a general area...
    I generally do when it’s relevant. However, most people shouldn’t like self-doxxing, particularly if they have significant assets. (The internet can be a venal place, there is no rest for the wicked.)

Posting pictures is an egregious example of that, because of the geotagging etc., among other hacks.

I'm in agreement Ed. Especially when a post asks a question that a general area would help shed light on. In advice given or what they might have in their area for resources or weather related challenges or who knows?

Ed,

Some folks do not want to let the bad people know where they live in fear someone might make a midnight run on their home shop.

With a real name here and even a general location like "Virginia" can zoom in on your location and information.

Ed C. Aumiller II, Mau........, VA
    Maybe related to: R.E. Aumiller, T.B. Aumiller, etc.
    Lived in: T.B, Va., Ed......, VA
    If that is you, $4.99 will get even more details. This was for free.

If that is you, it took just 10 seconds to find. (I have edited down some of the info above.)

I post mine because I have two alarm systems, cctv and self protection assets and county sheriff that live a few houses down that parks his police car out front. I also have a lot of nosey nellies in the neighbor hood.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Damon View Post
    With a real name here and even a general location like "Virginia" can zoom in on your location and information.
    If your name is obscure enough, a "general location" is quite unnecessary. (And yes, if my dad's genealogy research was accurate, all the others are related to me.)
    Long ago (well before the internet existed), I decided that trying to hide was a fool's errand.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Hiding from people who have advanced Internet skills is just about impossible, particularly Unix administrators.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Hiding from people who have advanced Internet skills is just about impossible, particularly Unix administrators.
    Are you saying that UNIX administrators should be particularly concerned? I agree. :^)

Only participate in forums that have trustworthy administrators. That rules out some large corporate entities.

FWIW, security by obscurity is no security at all. It always gets worse. Be careful out there.

I am wondering why people think anybody gives a big, hairy rat's tukas who or where they are.

I have lived my life publicly as a newspaper columnist and editor for a long, long time, and I have never had a problem with anybody sneaking around to harm me. The difficulties came from people who clearly threatened and those threats were neutralized by authorities.

For a long time, also, I was a partner in an internet forum. Never was there any danger from that public exposure. (Sadly, the business group I was part of did not require public identification of posters. I was ignorant then, but I myself was publicly identified.)

I feel the internet sites that allow people to actually post would be better off if all posters were publicly identifiable.

I don't care who you are or where you are until you say something like "around here" in your post. Where is "here?" I'm curious. I'm not coming for you. I just want to know where you are roughly. After all, you raised the point. If you don't say where "here" is, your post is relatively meaningless. Saying, "Oak goes for $4 a board foot around here" is bullpucky. Tell me where that price is if your going to bring it up. (That is not as bad as the poster who says something like, "This shop costs me a pretty penny." For goodness sake. Just shut up about it if you don't want to say how much. What exactly is a pretty penny? Do you think the bandits will come for you if they know what "a pretty penny" is? If you are trying to tell me how rich you are, I don't care. Nobody cares.)

There are Creek posters near me and they have never hunted me down. If they did, though, they better be prepared. I'll set down a beverage of their choice in front of them and we'll laugh and grin for a while.

I decline to navigate this world in fear.

There are Creek posters near me and they have never hunted me down. If they did, though, they better be prepared. I'll set down a beverage of their choice in front of them and we'll laugh and grin for a while.

I decline to navigate this world in fear.[/QUOTE]

Well stated Tony. It's far more likely whomever is looking to take your personal property already lives nearby then they are to track you down here. I've got to go....someone is calling about my car warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zona View Post
    I decline to navigate this world in fear.
    it’s not about fear. It’s about respecting traditional boundaries. There’s a whole lot about what’s going on right now that you don’t seem to appreciate. :^/

Explain it to me, please.

Most thieves are too lazy. If they can sit behind a computer screen and get you to enter sensitive data that's what they will do. But if they have to actually drive to your house and figure out where stuff is kept then they are going to be less tempted. Next is how much is theft of an issue in your area? Some people live in very rural areas where it could take an hour to drive there from where crime is a problem. When I was much younger I worked in a city and it wasn't that unusual to have people walk in off the street with used "items" they wanted to sell. It became clear that most of this stuff came from job sites and parking lots. Places where they could sneak into and out of quickly without standing out.

Try doing a google search for yourself and just your state. Unless you have a real common name you'll most likely still show up. If you're worried than what you really should do is change your name when you sign up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    I'm in agreement Ed. Especially when a post asks a question that a general area would help shed light on. In advice given or what they might have in their area for resources or weather related challenges or who knows?
    Often someone will ask for help finding an item. With no idea of where they are located what kind of answer can one give?

If someone is in Portland, OR then some of my favorite places nay be shared with them.

Even things like lumber selection. We do not get Southern Yellow Pine out here in the west. You likely don't get much redwood in the east. Heck, we don't get much of it in the northwest either.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Everytime some one with no location asks a question where climate is critical I always ask "location, Climate?" If in search of a particular item i will usually ask continent or make a rsponse based on their last name.
    Questions like how much insulation should my shop have. Do I need to have heat in the shop. Is x% moisture content low enough?
    Bill D.

Blog Entries
    Some folks are new to the Creek and simply don't know how to give their location or how valuable it can be when asking questions. Others are paranoid, that is ok too. Others are risk takers. Most lie in the middle.
    NOW you tell me...