Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your general location

Your general location

I wish it was required to post your general location on your profile...
    I have "Shenandoah Valley in VA" on mine... it gives an area that
    you can relate to, etc....
    NOT an address, just a general area...

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Aumiller View Post
    I wish it was required to post your general location on your profile...
    I have "Shenandoah Valley in VA" on mine... it gives an area that
    you can relate to, etc....
    NOT an address, just a general area...
    I generally do when it’s relevant. However, most people shouldn’t like self-doxxing, particularly if they have significant assets. (The internet can be a venal place, there is no rest for the wicked.)

Posting pictures is an egregious example of that, because of the geotagging etc., among other hacks.

I'm in agreement Ed. Especially when a post asks a question that a general area would help shed light on. In advice given or what they might have in their area for resources or weather related challenges or who knows?

Ed,

Some folks do not want to let the bad people know where they live in fear someone might make a midnight run on their home shop.

With a real name here and even a general location like "Virginia" can zoom in on your location and information.

Ed C. Aumiller II, Mau........, VA
    Maybe related to: R.E. Aumiller, T.B. Aumiller, etc.
    Lived in: T.B, Va., Ed......, VA
    If that is you, $4.99 will get even more details. This was for free.

If that is you, it took just 10 seconds to find. (I have edited down some of the info above.)

I post mine because I have two alarm systems, cctv and self protection assets and county sheriff that live a few houses down that parks his police car out front. I also have a lot of nosey nellies in the neighbor hood.

Rob

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    I'm in agreement Ed. Especially when a post asks a question that a general area would help shed light on. In advice given or what they might have in their area for resources or weather related challenges or who knows?
    Often someone will ask for help finding an item. With no idea of where they are located what kind of answer can one give?

If someone is in Portland, OR then some of my favorite places nay be shared with them.

Even things like lumber selection. We do not get Southern Yellow Pine out here in the west. You likely don't get much redwood in the east. Heck, we don't get much of it in the northwest either.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Everytime some one with no location asks a question where climate is critical I always ask "location, Climate?" If in search of a particular item i will usually ask continent or make a rsponse based on their last name.
    Questions like how much insulation should my shop have. Do I need to have heat in the shop. Is x% moisture content low enough?
    Bill D.

Blog Entries
    Some folks are new to the Creek and simply don't know how to give their location or how valuable it can be when asking questions. Others are paranoid, that is ok too. Others are risk takers. Most lie in the middle.
    NOW you tell me...

I'm inclined to think the risk is low in here but what do I know? I think Keith does a good job screening. Back when I joined I was rejected initially I suppose because of my uncommon name. I know there isn't any shortage of shady characters in this world. They've been trying to get me to renew my car warranty for months now.

Since my name, address and phone number was in the last printed phone book I'm pretty easy to find.

Every miscreant and con artist calls my house. One time the *IRS* called and said if I didn't pay money they would send the local police to come arrest me. I told him it's about time, I haven't paid taxes in 15 years and I wanted to meet him personally so I could pay him with hot lead. I haven't heard back from him.

OK, so maybe I have filed and paid taxes for the last 15 years. But he didn't know that and why let the truth mess up a great line?

Before I moved I had the same phone number from 1965 until 2002. Someone I hadn't heard from would call and say I was hard to find. Obviously reading a phone book wasn't their strong suit.

Well, having my name listed in the phone book beats having my name listed in the obituaries!

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    I'm inclined to think the risk is low in here but what do I know? I think Keith does a good job screening.
    You don’t need to be a member or contributor to access the personal information. It’s there for all the world to see on the wonderful thing we call the Internet (sarcasm intended). I wonder if there is a way to limit access to our personal info to contributors only, a la The Lumber Yard forum. Something for our Administrators to ponder?

Classic example in the last week is a guy, location unknown, bought some wood, species unknown, and it split. He is wondering if it will split more as it dries, climate unknown. So he wants to know how to deal with the situation.
    From his name I am guessing he is in Scotland? No response to my standard location and climate question.
    Of course on a metal working site I frequent there is a guy from a small city in Guinea-Bassu who is careful to mention where he is and how hard it can be to locate materials. Many responders obviously miss that fact and tell him that stuff is carried at any big box store in the xxxxxx section. Very few companies will ship to any part of Africa. His shop does have a street name but no address numbers in his town.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 03-31-2021 at 11:33 AM.

Blog Entries
    Often someone is experiencing a problem with a tool or wondering which tool might work best for them.

My standard suggestion is to list their location in their profile as there may be another SMC member in their area who would be willing to help them or to set up a visit to test drive a particular plane or other tool.

This has worked well for many members including myself meeting others in and around their area.

One was a member with a very common name who was having troubles registering on SMC. He wasn't exactly clear about whether it was he couldn't remember the string of numbers he used after his name or if he forgot his password. That doesn't matter. He looked me up in the phonebook and gave me a call. We have visited each other a few times. Last time was before the covid mess started. He lives in a city with one of my favorite stops for rust hunting when my travels take me that way. He didn't know about the shop so we went there to rust hunt and found a block plane that has been on my want list for years at a great price.

Knowing another member's location can lead to friends we haven't yet met.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 03-31-2021 at 11:49 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Our house has also been an engraving shop ever since we moved here in 1969, I was 14 then, I'll be 67 in July. We have people come and go all day, if the neighbors and cops didn't know better they'd think we were selling drugs --Google put us up a free online ad about 5 years ago. For most of those 5 years a pic of our house is on the ad. Haven't had any negatives because of it. And with just any simple street coordinates Google Earth can take you right to the front door.

There's no hiding these days...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Our house has also been an engraving shop ever since we moved here in 1969, I was 14 then, I'll be 67 in July. We have people come and go all day, if the neighbors and cops didn't know better they'd think we were selling drugs --Google put us up a free online ad about 5 years ago. For most of those 5 years a pic of our house is on the ad. Haven't had any negatives because of it. And with just any simple street coordinates Google Earth can take you right to the front door.

There's no hiding these days...
    And yet, we have no idea, for members of this forum, what part of the world you reside from your profile

Rob,

"Some folks do not want to let the bad people know where they live in fear someone might make a midnight run on their home shop."

Most folks that want to do a "Midnight run" do not go to forums to pick/find targets.. Too much work...

Also, unless they show up at most shops with plenty of help, it would be difficult to take the expensive items,
    i.e. heavy tablesaw, heavy lathe, etc...

incidentally, your search yielded the wrong person... However, a look in a phone book would have found me...

We have had alarms on house, shop, garage for over 30 years... Never needed them, but true, you never know... ...
    Last edited by Ed Aumiller; 04-01-2021 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Mostly grammer