Thread: Swing Away Tailstock Bracket for full-size lathe with heavy tailstock?

Swing Away Tailstock Bracket for full-size lathe with heavy tailstock?

I just ordered the Powermatic 3520C but chose not to buy the tailstock swing away bracket. Initially I felt I wouldn't need it and it was $300. However, now I'm wondering if it wouldn't make my life easier and it may be more necessary than I realized.

I turn bowls and hollow vessels almost always. I first thought that, with a long bed lathe like the 3520C, the tailstock wouldn't be in the way and I'd leave it on. However, I realized, after thinking about it more, that my original thinking probably doesn't make sense since, when hollowing bowls I would likely move the headstock toward the tailstock end for better access (which seems to be one of the benefits of a sliding headstock). The tailstock would be in the way and I'd need to remove it during the hollowing of most, if not all bowls and vessels.

For those who do own a lathe like the 3520C and own the swing away bracket, is it worth the $300 and is it close to a necessity since the tailstock weighs close to 50 pounds?

For those that didn't buy the tailstock bracket, is it something you wish you had or at least dread removing the tailstock when necessary?

I reviewed that thread and made the comment that it seems to me that the tailstock would still be interfering with direct access to the inside of the bowl from the tailstock side. My goal with the swing away is to get the tailstock completely out of the way so that I can stand directly in line with the bowl for hollowing. I would think that, if I were to buy a hollowing system, the tailstock would interfere with or without the extension. Maybe I'm just not understanding. Meanwhile I am trying to decide before the end of the day tomorrow since the sale ends. No sense paying an extra $30 if I can decide before then.

I have the swing away in my Jet, exact same one that would be on your Powermatic . I hollow at lease two HF a month with my Bosch hollowing system and have no interference with the swing away. Best investment I made on the Jet and Robust lathes.

I have a 3520B and I don't think twice about removing the tailstock and setting it on the floor or on my table saw outfeed table. I don't think it weighs anywhere near 50 pounds, though. Maybe 35? I haven't been turning much in the last year, though, and I just turned 60. Maybe my point of view will change when I get back to it.

The tailstock on the 3520C is 53 lbs according to a comparison of the 3520B and 3520C. The 3520B tailstock is 45 lbs. Powermatic verified that it was around 50 pounds. That weight is manageable I guess, but certainly not something I'd want to do each time I hollowed out a bowl. Turning is supposed to be fun.

Here is a "Fred Flintstone" approach. Attach a block and tackle (mechanical advantage of 2X) to the ceiling and use a ratchet strap around the tailstock. Then when you want to lift it you'd only be lifting/pulling about 25#. If you attach the Block and tackle to a pivot, after "clearing" the lathe you could rotate it to set it down a foot or two from the lathe. Another approach would be to attached the pulling end of the B&T to a fixed weight (say 20#). Then lift the 20# weight and set it on the bed, attach the lifting strap, move the fixed weight to the side and then use your arms to add an extra ~ 10 # to make the tailstock rise.

BTW, I have a lathe where the headstock can slide down to the end. I've done that a few times and had to lift the tailstock and set it down. But I'm a hobby turner and not a production turner. So, when I'm turning a platter or bowl, I don't mind too much to bend over the lathe. But what I find important is to be able to go to the far side of the lathe on occasion to turn the inside of a hollow form. So, my motivation to build or buy a swing away is less than my motivation to just walk to the back side of the lathe.

Thanks for all the input. I did order the swing away. Since I only turn bowls and some hollow vessels, the capability to hollow out the inside from the tailstock end of the lathe is important to me. After I thought about it, I decided that, for hollowing out almost every bowl or vessel (maybe even all), I would want be on the tailstock end and the tailstock would need to be removed to give me unobstructed access to the inside of the bowl/vessel. I should have realized that right away. The sliding headstock was a feature I looked for when researching lathes (many brands now have it instead of a swiveling headstock). Anyway it's a done deal and I'm satisfied with my decision. Given that woodworking is a hobby I enjoy, there is no need to insert a step that might take something away from the enjoyment like removing and reinstalling a heavy tailstock, especially with a new lathe like the 3520.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann;[URL="tel:3111783"
    3111783[/URL]]Thanks for all the input. I did order the swing away.
    You won't regret it. The extra $ will be reduced everytime you use it. Your back thanks you...