Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quick Grizzly G0766 noise question

1. The Delta "M" Series inverter is more modern and more advanced than the "S" Series inverters on Powermatics, Jets, and Lagunas. The "M" series does put off a little high pitched noise, [some call it "chirping" ]which seems to be mostly when the lathe is new. My G0766 was one of the first two or three shipped when the model first became available, and numerous others also noticed theirs made the same sound, so it is pretty much normal for this lathe, and my G0766 seems to have gotten quieter as the lathe was used over the months/years, and I hardly can hear that sound without putting my ear to the inverter box housing. I would not worry in the least, and you should just use the lathe and enjoy its fine performance. Seems new owners can be overly sensitive to the least little thing.

That being said, I recommend doing what I did before I ever put power to my G0766 for the first time. I went through the lathe, tightened every set screw, bolt, etc, and completely checked that everything was tight, and in its place. I learned that shipping across the oceans on a container ship induces a lot of vibration, and things can work themselves loose, and who knows if the factory workers took as much care as they should when they crated everything? A little problem seems to induce paranoia, and much apprehension.......everyone should go through their unit and carefully inspect and tighten every component. My G0766 has performed superbly since I got it in 2015.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 04-01-2021 at 5:27 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Haven't there been some where the pulley on the headstock was not in the correct position causing the lathe to make noise? As I recall, it was rubbing against the indexing wheel or something like that. I would certain inspect the inside of the headstock housing.

The only "abnormal" noise I've ever heard on mine is when the set screw on the headstock handwheel would work loose and make a clicking-like noise at low RPMs. Tightened the set screw and noise went away. But, it would work itself loose again over time. Finally solved that by replacing it with a custom wheel by JT Turning tools for use with a vacuum chuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    That being said, I recommend doing what I did before I ever put power to my G0766 for the first time. I went through the lathe, tightened every set screw, bolt, etc, and completely checked that everything was tight, and in its place. ...
    That's excellent advice and I do the same. Some years ago I bought a $12K diesel-powered zero-turn mower for the farm and in going through my pre-use check I found the hose clamp to the radiator coolant tank was not tightened and the coolant gone. Running it without checking likely would have damaged the engine. Probably good to recheck occasionally.

JKJ

David Bolson, if you are interested in pursuing this further, you may want to consider getting an "audio spectrum analyzer" ap for your cell phone. It will provide you with data regarding the frequency that you are hearing. Perhaps you are hearing some of the high frequency noise from the inverter that is high enough (16 kHz to 20 kHz) that many of us older folks can no longer hear. So perhaps we have the noise but don't notice it as much as you do.

On the GGMG, I recall a person posting about how you can make subtle changes to the inverter programming to lower audio noise. I think that the person's name may have been David Roseman (?).

In regards to using the F-0ff-R switch to turn off the lathe, there are people who advise against this and recommend using the speed control to more gradually slow down and stop the lathe. When the lathe is spinning and you go directly to the off position there is a fair amount of energy (EMF) that has to go somewhere. The lathe will free wheel longer than if you were to use the speed control knob. BTW, some people put in a braking resistor. Some of the higher end lathes like powermatic may already have the braking resistor installed. David Roseman also commented on that in the GGMG several years ago. I believe that it too needs a programming change to the controller.

I did a little video of my lathe noise for your reference.
    The ambient shop noise was about 30db and the reading was 30-55db over the range of 0-2000rpm.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

6. John, there is a very quick and very helpful modification you can do to get your chuck adapter to fit all the way back to your spindle shoulder as it should. Take a small file and hold it against the spindle boss [part where the adapter is now on your video] and run your lathe at about 500 rpm, allow it to take a smidgen off the spindle boss. It was machined to about 0.010 larger than most adapters on chucks. Take off a little, test the fit, take off a little more until it fits back to the shoulder...takes about a couple minutes.

After the chuck adapter fits securely all the way back, take some 220 grit, then 400 grit to polish the spindle. It will look like new, and all your chucks will fit as they should. The Grizzly chucks I have heard, fit right out of the box, so it may be a way they get sales of their chucks. Most G0766 owners have done this, and it is a great mod, and makes other brand chucks fit like they should.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 04-02-2021 at 6:51 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Thanks for the tip Roger....will do
    ~john

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart View Post
    I did a little video of my lathe noise for your reference.
    The ambient shop noise was about 30db and the reading was 30-55db over the range of 0-2000rpm.
    John - Thank you for doing that! That’s probably pretty close to what I found (see my post #14). My app read 61 at 2000 rpm’s, but my ambient started higher, our apps and phone microphones are different and probably not overly accurate to start with, etc.

I think my lathe is fine and apparently may even settle down to be a little quieter over time. Now I have to work on me, as my skills need some upgrading.

David

Quote Originally Posted by David Bolson View Post
    John - Thank you for doing that! That’s probably pretty close to what I found (see my post #14). My app read 61 at 2000 rpm’s, but my ambient started higher, our apps and phone microphones are different and probably not overly accurate to start with, etc.

I think my lathe is fine and apparently may even settle down to be a little quieter over time. Now I have to work on me, as my skills need some upgrading.

David
    That's great David. Good luck with the self improvement. Nothing seems to work for me.
    ~john