Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick Grizzly G0766 noise question

Quick Grizzly G0766 noise question

After my delivery misadventures, I'm finally turning again. After 3 months of not turning my skills have definitely deteriorated.

Anyway, the Grizzly seems much louder to me than my last lathe, a Nova 2024. I'm just wondering if this is standard and acceptable, or whether there's an issue. I went to the trouble of making a video, but now can't figure out how to post it without jumping through hoops. Anyway, I used a decibel meter app on my android and placed it on the bed near the spindle. At the higher speeds, it briefly hit 77db and was steady at about 74-75db.

If that's normal, I'm sure I'll get used to it. Just checking...

David

There is a Grizzley Group here that may be able to answer your question. Go to “community “ then chose “groups”.

David -- I cannot say if 74-75db is 'loud' for a Grizzly G0766. I will say that a Nova DVR lathe is quieter than most other lathes. That's one of its advantages, although most people don't feel competing lathes are loud enough to be bothersome. The reason the DVR is quieter is because it is direct drive. Assuming the spindle bearings are in good shape, the only sound you'll hear is the motor spinning. With other designs, you have the motor spinning, plus the sound from the pulleys and belts. Even if everything is perfectly aligned, the spinning pulleys and belts make some sound. Not a lot, but more than you'll get from the DVR.

However, 75db is the sound output of a typical dishwasher. Not very loud at all.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

I've never measured sound, but it's not loud. It does get louder with higher rpms. But at lower RPMs the inverter puts out a high pitched sound that might seem annoying to younger ears. I've never felt is was signs of an issue. Of course it's noisier with a piece of wood on it as opposed to spinning with no load.

Maybe I was spoiled a bit by the relative quietness of the Nova. When I started turning on the Grizzly I was a bit alarmed by the sound, wondering if something was off. I can live with it, just wanted to make sure that it was normal.

Odd.....my grizzley doesn't make any noise at all. I was astounded by how quiet it is
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

David Bolson, another person posted on GGMG (Grizzly lathe forum) but in regards to a clicking noise. It sound like yours is a continuous whine?

I'd loosen the belt to the spindle to the point that you can remove it. Then take your hand and slowly rotate the spindle. It should be silky smooth. Do the same for the motor. Then try to wiggle both ends of the spindle and the motor shaft. There shouldn't be any play. I'd also turn on the motor w/o the belt on. If the motor spindle is smooth but the whine is coming from the motor, perhaps this is normal.

There are some parameters on the 3 phase converter that you could play with that could affect the motor and converter noise. There are some people who have posted on the GGMG how to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    David Bolson, another person posted on GGMG (Grizzly lathe forum) but in regards to a clicking noise. It sound like yours is a continuous whine?

I'd loosen the belt to the spindle to the point that you can remove it. Then take your hand and slowly rotate the spindle. It should be silky smooth. Do the same for the motor. Then try to wiggle both ends of the spindle and the motor shaft. There shouldn't be any play. I'd also turn on the motor w/o the belt on. If the motor spindle is smooth but the whine is coming from the motor, perhaps this is normal.

There are some parameters on the 3 phase converter that you could play with that could affect the motor and converter noise. There are some people who have posted on the GGMG how to do this.
    Brice - The spindle is smooth. The motor noise is the same without the belt engaged.

There seems to be something wrong with the Grizzly Group search feature. I first searched for "noise" and came up with "no results". Even though the very first thread in the group is titled, "Spindle noise". I then searched the word "motor" and got "no results" again. Which is impossible.

I decided to call Grizzly to find out if the had a spec for motor noise level. They do not. The tech I talked to said that he works on a G0766 and that it's "quiet". His only suggestion was to take off the fan cover and check the fan, which I'll do. So far, I haven't gotten anyone who says their lathe is "quiet" to do a decibel reading, so I'll never be sure my lathe is normal, but it works, so I'll work with it.

I don't have a decibel meter, but I can say this, my shop lights have a slight hum which I can barely hear and they are louder than my 766
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

You might try putting the video on youtube and sharing the link here. If the spindle is smooth, take the belt completely off the motor and run it through a range. If the motor is out of balance, that can cause quite a bit of noise. Here is an interesting 0766 repair video, which references a new Laguna lathe video for her next video. I see she never heard of brinelling a bearing! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_JEW_pQGYc
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 03-31-2021 at 5:31 PM.

David Bolson, if you were in an area with a wood turning club, perhaps you could find another G0766 owner and you could do a comparison. Also, I think that I recall that Griz could give you contact info on other G0766 owners in your area. Or you could post your location here and perhaps another member will read and contact you. I live 20 miles north of San Diego, if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    David Bolson, if you were in an area with a wood turning club, perhaps you could find another G0766 owner and you could do a comparison. Also, I think that I recall that Griz could give you contact info on other G0766 owners in your area. Or you could post your location here and perhaps another member will read and contact you. I live 20 miles north of San Diego, if that helps.
    Good idea. I didn’t even realize that I don’t have my location listed. I’m in North Jersey. I do belong to a club here, although we haven’t physically met for a long time. I’ll ask there also.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    You might try putting the video on youtube and sharing the link here. If the spindle is smooth, take the belt completely off the motor and run it through a range. If the motor is out of balance, that can cause quite a bit of noise. Here is an interesting 0766 repair video, which references a new Laguna lathe video for her next video. I see she never heard of brinelling a bearing! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_JEW_pQGYc
    I just watched a few of her videos and it seems she has a problem with everything she buys!!

Resolution, mostly

Alright, I’m backing up a step. I now think I was a bit of an alarmist on this. This is what I realized last night: I’m not used to dealing with belts. Never had to change a belt with my Nova. When I first started using the Grizzly, I was sanding a project that I had never finished on my Nova. I used a slow speed on Belt “B”. Then I went into regular turning never having changed the belt, while moving on to high speeds. I forgot to change the belt!

What I figured out last night is this:
    If I only use belt “B” up to 700 RPM’s, the DB measurement is at 60 or less, which is quite comfortable.
    If I switch to belt “A” after that, I don’t get over 60 DB until 2000 RPM.
    So while the lathe is, in my opinion, loud at the highest RPM’s, I’ll rarely get there.
    I also might figure out a faster way to change belts. Unscrewing the latch is a bit slow. Probably something with a magnet.

Other things I learned:
    There is a blip at 400 RPM on belt “B” and 1100 RPM on belt “A”, where it gets significantly louder, but then the sound decreases again as the RPM increases. I’ll just learn over time to avoid those speeds.

There is a “chirping” sound that gets louder and louder starting about 1800 RPM coming from the handwheel area. It’s not the handwheel itself, as I took it off and the chirping didn’t change.

The motor itself is not what makes the bulk of the noise. Most of the noise comes from the large black box behind the headstock.

Also, I figured this out:
    Depending on what I’m doing, I sometimes wear gloves. I was working on a large bowl with my gloves and every time I stopped the lathe by moving the top knob from “F” to “O” and then turned it back on again, the speed would increase dramatically. I thought that I already had a bad potentiometer. I finally realized that when I was turning the lathe off, the tip of my glove was nudging the speed knob. Problem solved, but I do wish those knobs were a little farther apart.

Thanks for the help!

David

I've never used that lathe but have used a bunch of others. The sound you describe still doesn't seem right to me.

The lathe should be usable up to its full speed without clicks, chirping, or speeds that need to be avoided. In general, a sound at a specific speed may indicate a resonance at that frequency due to a mechanical imbalance. Could be in the spindle, the motor, or a vibration due to belt tightness. Some people tighten a belt too much on a lathe like a Jet or PM by pushing down the lever too hard - someone who experienced early bearing failure said Jet tech support told them the weight of the motor is enough to properly tension the belt. If there is room inside the headstock you can slip the belt off the pulleys and run just the motor through the speed range to check it. With the belt off, the spindle should turn freely by hand - spin it and it should continue to spin for a moment. With the belt off you may be able to rig up something to mechanically drive the spindle to a higher speed (perhaps with a friction wheel or pressure pad attached to another motor of some sort) and see if the spindle is behaving nicely. If not, I'd check the tighteness and the bearings.

As for the sound from near the handwheel my PM has a method to tighten a nut under the handwheel to remove play. Perhaps yours is too tight. After running the lathe at high speed for a while, stop and check for heat from friction.

As for bumping the speed control with your glove, if the problem comes from the potentiometer turning too freely you can add friction by removing the knob and making a washer that fits under the knob. I made a washer from a piece of felt for a knob that turned too freely. Some people turn off a lathe each time by turning the speed to zero but I don't like that method.

JKJ