Thread: Can't see the photos I posted

Can't see the photos I posted

I posted what was intended to be a helpful thread on installing Byrd Shelix Cutterheads in Makita 2040 planers. I cannot see the photos, even though I created the thread. Now isn't that about the most unfriendly action an administrator could take? Reminds me of photos hosted by PhotoBucket.

Dave, one needs to be a contributor to see photos here. It's only (IIRC) $6 a year. It certainly wasn't a specific action aimed at you.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Dave, could you see them when you posted them in December of 2017?

Blog Entries
    Dave your photos are there, but only contributors can view photos. Since many folks starting using adblockers, the site could not raise sufficient revenue from ads appearing to cover the operating cost of the forum, so it was decided that as an incentive for people to pay $6 annually, that only contributors would be able to view photos even if the person posted those photos themselves.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    Dave, could you see them when you posted them in December of 2017?
    Sure could. I think something changed in 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Erickson View Post
    Sure could. I think something changed in 2019.
    See the post by Lee above yours.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Dave your photos are there, but only contributors can view photos. Since many folks starting using adblockers, the site could not raise sufficient revenue from ads appearing to cover the operating cost of the forum, so it was decided that as an incentive for people to pay $6 annually, that only contributors would be able to view photos even if the person posted those photos themselves.
    If one posts content, isn't one then by definition a contributor?
    Your reasoning is valid, but in order for someone to shell out $20 Can after exchange fees and banking fees for cross border processing to view a website that has not proven itself is a bit of an ask.
    From what I have seen so far, the content appears to be worth the outlay, but new people should have a taste of what they are being asked to pay for.

I think the contributor amount is $6 - not $20

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Heemskerk View Post
    Your reasoning is valid, but in order for someone to shell out $20 Can after exchange fees and banking fees for cross border processing to view a website that has not proven itself is a bit of an ask.
    From what I have seen so far, the content appears to be worth the outlay, but new people should have a taste of what they are being asked to pay for.
    Albert, welcome to SMC. Glad you've joined us! You can get a great deal of knowledge here without having access to the pictures. Then you can decide if it is worth $6 US. My bet is that you will see it's well worth it. I hope so anyway.

See this thread and the one it links to for more background on why things are setup this way. LINK

Take care.
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 04-17-2021 at 6:40 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Heemskerk View Post
    Information, if useful by others, doesn't pay to keep the lights on however. Keith has been operating SMC at some personal financial losses for at least 18 years based on the join dates of some of the members posting in this thread. I have only been a member for 17 years.

You can have a taste without being a paying Contributor but you merely can't see the photographs. Consider it what it is, a benefit for those who help pay to keep the lights on. The suggested $6.00 annual contribution won't break most peoples banks.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....