Thread: Ottoman with homemade cushion

Ottoman with homemade cushion

DSCN0353.jpgDSCN0351.jpgWith the quality of work done on the site here, I was not going to post the ottoman. It is such a simple piece of work compared to the work most people here show, but I thought the cushion may be of some interest to some here because I was able do sew it on our regular home sewing machine using faux leather, which is comparable to leather but cheaper in cost. There were some other posts about getting some upholstered cushions made on the site recently, and it is possible to do with some basic sewing equipment, if one wishes to .

I bought a good piece of high quality upholstery foam online for around 20.00 and wrapped it in cotton batting using 3m spray foam adhesive. I picked up the faux leather at a Joanns store locally in the specials bin for 6 dollars a yard. So for about 32 dollars I was able to make a cushion that should last for many years.

The ottoman was made for my better half to her specifications, as it replaces one she wore out from many years of use. She wanted a compartment for storing her heating pad, so it came out looking more heavy, and blockier looking then I would have preferred but she's the boss on this one.

I've always avoided doing pieces that required upholstery. Thanks for showing it can be done by non-experts because your cushion looks great.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

That turned out great Michael...what a great project and I love on-board storage aspect.
    A wannabe woodworker!

I have always avoided sewing too Paul, but as I do a little more mending and hemming my own clothes I thought I would give it a try, being the investment was not that great. First times are the least pleasant, but what a guy will do for his love.

I appreciate the your interest David, and thanks for the kind words.

Well done, Michael. I like it, and frankly, on a straightforward design the inclusion of knots adds nice character to it. Kudos on the cushion. The man made “leathers” these days are far more practical than real leather. Much easier to maintain.

I’ll add there is another thread about what knowledge to pass along to a son going away to college and I was going to reply basic sewing. My Grandmother taught me the basics when I was in Jr. High. It saved my rear side a number of times years later when a button would pop off on my dress shirt about 30 minutes prior to a meeting. I used to always travel with a small pouch of thread and a sewing needle.

Thanks Phil.
    Your sewing experiences remind me of my navy days, when we were given a little sewing kit, so we could sew our rank and rate emblems onto our uniforms when we advanced in rank.

Looks good Michael!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thank You Frederick.

I like it, never did anyting with upholstery. I hope others don't feel inhibited to post a project just because there are more sophisticated projects on this forum. We are all at different levels of exerience. I always like to see what others are doing.

I'm glad you like it Ron. I know this type of work is not for everyone,when you can go buy a nice ottoman for not too much money. I have many miles to go down the wood working road, and gain one thing or another from each little project.
    A lot of the work coming out of the shops people have here is really impressive. Gives me good ideas and ambitions.