Thread: What work requires wide vise jaw openings

What work requires wide vise jaw openings

My bench will be similar to Robert Lang's 21st century design. A 7" Record style vise (single screw with two guide rods) will be used at the tail vise position. Wood jaw liner will be thick enough for a .75" hole for a bench dog that will be off-center from the vise screw, so it aligns with a row of dog holes 2.5" in from front of bench. A Moxon twin screw vise will be mounted on bench top with holdfasts when needed.

Now I need to decide on the size of the face vise, that I want to be the same Record style as my end vise. I won't mind using clamps to secure a door or similar size panel to the back side of bench without using a vise. This bench will not (as long as it's mine) be in a production shop. Working on door size pieces will be very infrequent.

Is a wider jaw opening the main reason that 9" and 10" vises are usually used for the face vise. Or are there other reasons that a second 7" vise would be too small for the face vise. What types of work holding are easier with more space between the jaws.
    Thank you.

Why compromise?

Desk 2.jpgIMG_0056.jpg
    This vise has leather faced jaws, crushing power, out of square adjustment, no handle to dance around when planing, solid work support and it opens to 44".

Unfortunately I am not planning to make any more, the parts were expensive and the bench must be designed around it.

Wow. Glad I checked back to see if there were any replies. Never saw a vise like yours. That's a nice custom design--both the bench and the vise.