Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Happy Vietnam Veterans Day

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    By the grace of God I never served in Vietnam.

Thank You Vietnam Veterans!
    Well said,

I received the National Defense Medal while in Antarctica, only because I was on active duty during the war.

To me, it made no sense for me to get it, I was about as far away for combat in a steamy jungle as you could be.

I remember receiving it and going outside on a cold grey day looking in the general direction of Vietnam and saying a prayer for those there.
    Last edited by Mike Soaper; 04-01-2021 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Today is Vietnam Veterans Day.

In another 10 to 20 years there won't be many of us left and those will be in wheelchairs.

Mike
    Thanks for posting this Mike.

It’s odd to see such milestones, and the people involved slip away.

Growing up, all my peers parents served in WWII, my father would be over a century old if he was alive.

We sure lose track of time....Rod

Just some statistics: In World II, the US lost about 400,000 soldiers and civilians killed, or about 0.31% of our population of about 131 million (in 1939). Canada lost about 43,600 soldiers and civilians or about 0.38% of it's population of about 11 million. Germany lost about 7 million soldiers and civilians, or about 8.5% of it's population of 83.5 million. The Soviet Union lost about 26.5 million soldiers and civilians, or about 13.5% of it's population of about 194 million.

In Vietnam, the US lost a bit over 58,000 soldiers and civilians killed, or about 0.03% of our population of about 200 million in 1968.

All numbers are rounded. Sourced here.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 04-02-2021 at 3:28 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Just some statistics: In World II, the US lost about 400,000 soldiers and civilians killed, or about 0.31% of our population of about 131 million (in 1939). Canada lost about 43,600 soldiers and civilians or about 0.38% of it's population of about 11 million. Germany lost about 7 million soldiers and civilians, or about 8.5% of it's population of 83.5 million. The Soviet Union lost about 26.5 million soldiers and civilians, or about 13.5% of it's population of about 194 million.

In Vietnam, the US lost a bit over 58,000 soldiers and civilians killed, or about 0.03% of our population of about 200 million in 1968.

All numbers are rounded. Sourced here.

Mike
    To maybe help put into perspective how many were lost in Vietnam

dodger stadium seats apx. 56,000
    yankee stadium apx 52,300
    oriole park at candem yards apx 46,000
    Last edited by Mike Soaper; 04-02-2021 at 5:12 PM.

Today is Vietnam Veterans Day.

In another 10 to 20 years there won't be many of us left and those will be in wheelchairs.

Mike
    I know I'm a little late for this but I'd like to say thank you to all who served. My Grandfather is a Vietnam Vet and the only thing he'll say about it is that he ate monkey on a stick while over there. So to those who have served I want to thank you again because you have endured so much for people you will never meet and that, is a true testament of character.
    Much appreciation,
    Aiden
    "The key to a long life is when you start to die, don't"