Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

29 Mar 2021

Greetings. I've been enjoying the spring-like weather here, lawn mower has had it's annual service, shop has been cleaned up a bit, my woodworking student is doing well in all his classwork and my son's tv stand/entertainment center is now in the paint phase of the project.
    I also got an adjustment knurled nut for my old Stanley #71 router plane. A buddy of mine made it for me out of brass. He said that if anybody else needed the adjuster nut for the Stanley #71 or #7-1/2 to let him know and he'd make more. I told him that I'd keep that in mind in case I come across another good deal on those router planes. I'm finding them rather handy.

Kitchen pantry expansion is not installed and all I need to do is the final trim pieces and make the case molding for the entire pantry and I'll be done with that. Today is the LOML's birthday so I'm glad I got the pantry expansion installed and near ready for use by today.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Turned on the water at the cottage. Demo’d the kitchen wall area down to the studs, installed blocking for the cabinets and blocking for a sliding barn door. Meanwhile I applied finish to the last of 5 cabinets for the cottage kitchen. The Ronovation spring offensive has begun!

Garden and yard chores have been booming. Pressured washed the driveway and started eyeing my front fence for a fresh finish. Trying to wrap up the built ins around my fireplace Also started a big double gate across the driveway so I can have my shop doors open this summer without anyone seeing me from the street!

No accomplishments for me this past weekend as I helped a life long buddy move this weekend after a bitter divorce. 36+ hours of moving over 3 days. So much stuff to move and lotsa large items. But I was rewarded well......a new pew pew, lotsa pew pew seeds and probably 20# of venison, oh and his mother feed us well and made us drink lotsa beer.

Now it's time to rest both my body and allergies (so much dust kicked up in the moving) for a few days and get ready to strip the hallway, large living room, dining area, kitchen, laundry and 1 bedroom to bare studs and begin the remodel process. Time to bring 1973 into 2021 (just image the Brady Bunch decor ).
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!

Sounds like things were good for you this past week, Dennis!

I had one interesting and challenging project in the shop this past week using the CNC to cut the mortises for some louvered doors...the challenge was because the length of the workpieces was longer than the cutting area of my machine. (shoulda bought a bigger one. LOL) I originally was going to use the normal tiling feature in Vectric's software, but it became simpler to just manually index things. In the end, it worked out just great and the "Creeker I was helping with this saved a whole lot of manual work.

IMG_9152.jpg

Aside from that...I've been doing a lot of exterior touch up painting to clear that item from my pre-listing "punch list". In fact, I pretty much got that finished today. I also started preparing my slider for its trip to Virginia where it will be living going forward. It will be some time before I have a new, large shop established at the new property, so rather than pay to store that big machine, it's going to be working for another 'Creeker and I'll replace it with new when I have a large enough place to put it. Culling all my off-cuts has begun and that's honestly painful...I'm not prone to wasting material and I really do dive into that stuff when doing projects. At least it will be going to a recycling center instead of a landfill.

I will not get much more fun stuff done this week as I'm having a cataract in my right eye taken care of on Wednesday at oh-dark-early. This is the same eye I had surgery on last September and an accelerated cataract growth was expected from that procedure. It will be nice to be able to actually see stuff "more normally" in both eyes after this thing on Wednesday!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Not too much shop time for me this week; had some nice weather so I worked outside quite a bit.

I did get some blanks for the false drawer fronts for my desks glued up; I wanted them to be quartered/rift sawn to minimize wood movement issues so I had to glue them up. And I made some progress on jigs/fixtures for the drawer pulls. Original plan was to route oval recesses in the false fronts and bridge them with a curved ebonized pull, but I abandoned that idea once I made a few prototypes and realized I couldn't make it big enough to be easy to grasp without it looking really clunky on the narrow stiles of my built-in doors. And I want the pulls on the desks to mirror the pulls on the built-ins. So I worked out a plan B for a modified bar pull. I will still ebonize them since I like the contrast with the cherry.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Added 106 pieces of 2X8 blocking to the floor joists so that I can run hardwood floors parallel to the joists. Made we wish I had that rotator cuff repaired years ago.

Also, still trying to troubleshoot a 120 VAC circuit that has (low?) voltage on the neutral line and the ground. Seems like some wires have lost their insulation somewhere. Just where is the question. It's clean at the breaker panel.