Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for reducing tear out

Tips for reducing tear out

Hello all,

I am a new woodworking hobbyist. Could you please share your tips on reducing tear out with Baltic Birch plywood?

I am able to get a fairly clean cut on my table saw. Even the circular saw mounted on a sled (to use w/ a track) gave quite satisfactory result.
    But after the cut, I smooth out the edge with light sanding. I sand by hand with a block sander. I start w/ 150 grit, then 180, and finish w/ 240. I just give few strokes with each grit. I am not trying to create a chamfer. But sanding the edge often produce tear out. That is when I am not using edge bands to conceal the layers. In some cases, I like the look of the exposed ply.

I can use some tips from the pros here. If there are faster and/or easier way to finish the edges, I would be super interested in as well.

Thanks much

Blade with lots of sharp teeth. I would try a steel blade, steel can get sharper. Lightly sand the corners before sanding the edges. Then
    do final sanding on the corners. Putting blue masking tape on the wood before sawing can help.

Joe ,thanks for being a contributor !

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Blade with lots of sharp teeth. I would try a steel blade, steel can get sharper. Lightly sand the corners before sanding the edges. Then
    do final sanding on the corners. Putting blue masking tape on the wood before sawing can help.

Joe ,thanks for being a contributor !
    Thanks Mel. Oh and sorry, previously when i said edge, I mean the corner and not the flat section of the edge itself. When I smooth the corner, i get some tear out on the veneer side.

And I thought carbide blades are now better than steel? Is that not the case with plywood? I use a 10" 60T on my table saw, and 7.25" 40T on my circular saw.

Another thing you might try Joe, is to get a fine tooth Freud 7 1/4" blade from HD, and try that on your table saw. On baltic birch it will cut a super thin kerf and cost very little. I think they go as fine as 60 tooth.

Of course when sanding you should push the paper toward the cut, not away.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Thanks Rick. I have been considering the thin kerf blade because I have an entry level job site table saw. The standard 15Amp. It will give my table saw more mojo. But I am not able to find a riving knife as thin as the blade. Isn't it a big no-no to cut without the riving knife?

Can you please explain what "push the paper toward the cut" means?

Score your wood with a utility knife before you make the cut and use a sharp blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Another thing you might try Joe, is to get a fine tooth Freud 7 1/4" blade from HD, and try that on your table saw. On baltic birch it will cut a super thin kerf and cost very little. I think they go as fine as 60 tooth.

Of course when sanding you should push the paper toward the cut, not away.
    I have done this. It really works well. I use the same blade in my circ saw when cutting plywood.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I think what Rick means is to sand from the face to the edge. Not from the edge up over the face. I also avoid sanding back and forth down the corner...just from the face over to the edge.

And I thought carbide blades are now better than steel? Is that not the case with plywood? I use a 10" 60T on my table saw, and 7.25" 40T on my circular saw.[/QUOTE]

Carbide stays sharp a lot better than steel. But steel GETS sharper, for some critical work steel is better.

Adjust blade height just above the work. No higher than needed.

Blog Entries
    A zero clearance insert is your best friend for reducing tear out. If you use tape as suggested just be sure to remove the tape by pulling it toward the cut line. Regular masking tape works better than blue tape.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Best blades for veneer I have used are high tooth count (10"/80 tooth), high angle alternate bevel, moderate forward rake angle like the Forrest Duraline. Usually keeping the blade height low will result in least tearout at the bottom of the cut. Baltic birch tends to have a flaky face veneer because of slicing defects in the thick face plies. You might try another product like Appleply or Columbia Europly for exposed edges.

Carbide blades hold an edge longer; steel blades can get sharper.
    Regards,

Tom

I didn't word that very well Joe, Phil said it much better.

About that riving knife, most portable saws I have seen use pretty thin riving knives. Whether it will work with a 7 1/4" blade is a question maybe someone else can answer. The riving knife is a great safety device, and should be used.

I have seen home made riving knives made of thin steel for use with very thin blades. Check youtube.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 03-30-2021 at 3:38 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Thank you everyone. I got many tips I can try. First, I will try a blade with more fine teeth and the sanding pushing into the cut given they are the least tedious and not adding extra steps.

It's been a lot of fun to learn and do woodworking for the past 12-18 months. I started with my staircase remodeling which isn't the simplest project to tackle for a beginner (so I was told), but with the help of people on this forum, and all the detailed explanation, I managed to get it done. And since then, it has become a fun hobby that helped me to get off my computer. So big thanks to all for helping me discover a new fascinating hobby. And looking around, I now realize so many things are made of wood.
    Last edited by joe webb; 03-30-2021 at 4:09 AM.