Thread: Building a clock face... Wood Hands? Inlaid hour markings?

Building a clock face... Wood Hands? Inlaid hour markings?

My wife wants me to build a wood clock. I have a gorgeous piece of very curly shedua, and getting movements is easy enough.
    I would like wood hands, but can't find anything but walnut, and I need ash or maple. Any idea where they might be available?

I want to inlay hour markings, but have never done anything like that before. I imagine you outline it with an exacto knife, remove it with a chisel, and cut a piece to fit... but do you know of any online instruction on how to do it? I expect I will do a few dozen on scraps before I go near the piece of shedua.

It's easier to cut the inlays, trace them onto the work surface, then cut holes to fit your inlays.

It would be difficult to inlay the numbers with the traditional type of Roman numerals. Even on fine old clocks with silvered faces the numbers
    were usually done by sawing and filing all the way thru the plate and then filling with a dark wax or resin, or “secret formula “. I added
    that one because I’ve been given a number of answers. Personally, I can not tolerate a clock without properly done RN . Don’t want Arabic
    numbers all hanging upright like motel room keys. AND it’s not a DIAL if the numbers are vertical ....it’s just another ...FACE !! I suggest
    applying sawn out numbers, because....poorly done inlay will be instantly recognized.....and beautifully done inlay will be seen by most as...
    ”fine penmanship”.

Wade, I’m working on something similar right now. I’m not using numbers, but symbols and my piece is veneer, which makes it a bit easier. As mentioned above, make the inlay first, then trace it onto the piece with an xacto or scalpel, then carve it out to fit. A trim router, dremel router or router plane can remove the bulk (set to the right depth of course), and corners and such can be cleaned up with an exacto, chisel, dental pick, etc.

There are a number of YT vids on inlaying...search inlaying bell flowers, or inlay marquetry.