Thread: Gear box oil for Williams Hussey molder (model No 154)

Gear box oil for Williams Hussey molder (model No 154)

Hello. I recently acquired a Williams Hussey molder, model No. 154 given the serial number in relation to the manuals provided on WH's website. The electronic manual specifies gear oil from WH or "straight mineral 80-90 gear lube" for short-term use. In the description of the oil sold by WH online, it says the machines ships with Mobil Mineral Gear Oil, 600XP 460. What do you all use as gear oil for you WH molder? Thanks!

McMaster has it.
    Gear Oil,
    https://www.mcmaster.com/2158K83

ISO 460
    Don't use oil with sulfur additives. They may cause corrosion issues if the gear box has any brass or bronze. parts

Thanks Stan. I found a gallon worth of it on a certain e-commerce site. I were just wondering if people use other type of oil besides the one listed in the manual and on W&H's website.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakahisa Shinta View Post
    Thanks Stan. I found a gallon worth of it on a certain e-commerce site. I were just wondering if people use other type of oil besides the one listed in the manual and on W&H's website.
    I bought a small metal cutting band saw and needed to work on the gearbox. What was in there - well, I'm not sure what it was. A little thinner than what comes out of a grease gun but not much. It only required a small amount, less than a cup so I took a small jar to the shop and does our automotive work and asked for what they use in differentials. What I got was a full synthetic blue viscous fluid. That stuff REALLY sticks to the gears as they rotate. I don't know the name unfortunately.

The EP additives can attack yellow metal I beleive GL4 and above are a problem. GL3 and below are okay.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I bought a small metal cutting band saw and needed to work on the gearbox. What was in there - well, I'm not sure what it was. A little thinner than what comes out of a grease gun but not much. It only required a small amount, less than a cup so I took a small jar to the shop and does our automotive work and asked for what they use in differentials. What I got was a full synthetic blue viscous fluid. That stuff REALLY sticks to the gears as they rotate. I don't know the name unfortunately.
    Sounds like the "purple" stuff. If it is I wasn't impressed with it. We have triple pump drives that handle 500 HP. Someone put that in it. It really stuck to the gears is right. We had to buff everything to get the baked on scale off. We do run synthetic because it runs cooler. By about 20 degrees. Some seals fail at about 270 dgrees. This dropped the operating temperature to about 250 degrees. We also went to a seal that was rated for higher temps.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    The EP additives can attack yellow metal I beleive GL4 and above are a problem. GL3 and below are okay.
    Bill D
    Bill I think it depends on the manufacturer. If they use inactive sulphur it's only minimal risk. One would need to research the specific brand and specifications.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Bill I think it depends on the manufacturer. If they use inactive sulphur it's only minimal risk. One would need to research the specific brand and specifications.

anything gl4 and below is safe. Many Gl5 and above oils are now formulated to reduce sulpher and be safer then before.
    Bill D