Thread: Moxon Hardware

Moxon Hardware

I have a set of moxon hardware for sale. The screw is 3/4-6 acme and is 8 inches long. The set includes (2) screws, (4) thick flat washers, (4) acme nuts and (2) 5 inch diameter cast iron hand wheels. I am asking $115 shipped Conus.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03543.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	162.0 KB 
ID:	455235 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03544.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	161.4 KB 
ID:	455236
    Thank you for looking.
    Tom

Is the Moxon fad subsiding? I sure jumped into it last year, and I'm really glad I did. It's a great bench device. Someone needs to jump on this.

Hi Tom,

I'm interested in building a moxon vise. However, I've just started thinking about it and have not done that much research. I was originally thinking of getting hardware cheaply off of McMaster carr (not necessarily wood working specific stuff.)

What's the deal with this hardware? (Where is it coming from, and what benefits would I get from the potential price premium?)

Thanks for your help!

Best,
    John

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Strong View Post
    Hi Tom,

I'm interested in building a moxon vise. However, I've just started thinking about it and have not done that much research. I was originally thinking of getting hardware cheaply off of McMaster carr (not necessarily wood working specific stuff.)

What's the deal with this hardware? (Where is it coming from, and what benefits would I get from the potential price premium?)

Thanks for your help!

Best,
    John
    Have you priced McMaster-Carr? I found them to be rather expensive.

Although height of the work piece can be a problem, one can simply clamp the board to the side of a work bench with a couple of pipe clamps or f style clamps and get the job done. Or an actual wood vise, along with 4 nuts and 4 washers and a threaded rod, cut in half from the hardware Store, An adjustable wrench will work fine to tighten the vise if one doesn't have the correct size of box end wrench.

A Hardware Hank plane, properly sharpened and tuned, will plane wood almost as well as a premium priced plane.

My answer is a rhetorical question. Why would anyone want to buy a premium priced plane?
    Tom

Last year when I caught the Moxon bug, I wavered on buying Tom's equipment. I mean, would it be any good?

I eventually chose not to buy his set and make my own, but I quickly saw that I wanted the finesses factor of lightly spinning the handwheels for a solid grip result. After a little investigation I determined that I had no way of tapping an Acme thread in an iron handwheel. Still opting to "cheap out," I bought a lead screw, Acme nuts, and washers from McMaster Carr, and I embedded some extra nuts into shop-made oak handwheels. They work fine, I have the pride of having made them, and I really like my homemade Moxon. But the exercise showed me that iron wheels would be even heftier.

By the time I had fully committed to my process I came to understand that Tom makes top-quality iron wheels with fine-working threads. How do I know this? Because several Creekers came forward to endorse the quality of Tom's work. As I say, by then I was well down the road with making mine. If not, I would have bought his gear in a heartbeat. His price would have split the difference between what I spent and the price of the Benchcrafted set. That would have been quite acceptable to me for a tool that rivaled the best in the business.

Tom is being modest in not speaking up for the quality of his parts.
    Last edited by Bob Jones 5443; 04-17-2021 at 7:56 PM.