Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser Level quality question

Laser Level quality question

I m considering a laser level for my cottage renovation kitchen cabinets and tile. I see cheap ones on Amazon as well as a more expensive Dewalt. If the cheap ones have issues, I would consider the Dewalt, but wouldn't if the cheaper ones give decient results. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Ron Citerone; 03-28-2021 at 4:03 PM.

Ron, yes there is a difference. The main thing is repeatable self leveling. The cheaper lasers mechanism to do the job is pretty weak. They can be useful tools, but check them periodically. You'll find that the more expensive ones tolerate life's little bumps and bruises better. I'm not proud of it, but I knocked Dewalt off a ladder last week, about 8' onto concrete, and it is fine. BTW, Dewalt is not the expensive stuff, there is at least one more price and feature point above Dewalt.

I've got a Bosch in the $150 range. I've been very happy with it for almost a decade now. It get's used for mostly shop work, and occasionally installs. It's had a few falls and gets neglected from time to time, but still gives me accurate repeatable results. Sometimes I'm rather astonished at how accurate it can be while costing so little. Knowing how expensive mistakes can be, I wouldn't go with a less reputable brand to save $50 or $75.

Similar situation here wanted a decent laser level for the occasional project, but the good ones can be pricey. I bought a reconditioned Bosch gll50 for 1/3 the price of new, looks brand new, works great and meets my needs.
    https://www.cpooutlets.com/on/demand...t&lang=default
    Jim
    Last edited by Jim Braun; 03-28-2021 at 9:46 PM. Reason: Typo

I'm not a pro, so take anything from me with a grain of salt, but to add I've found that having two different lasers is far more versatile that one device crammed with different lasers. For example, one laser for lines, and another for plum/dots. Once you have your line laser set, you can then move around a plum/dot laser without having to keep moving and adjusting the line laser. I've also found CPO to be a good source as Jim pointed out. Just cross-check the prices on Amazon as occasionally they'll do a sale that makes them cheaper than CPO.

Thanks guys, lot of good advice. I have a few weeks till cabinet install so I will use your advice to get one. Won’t go with off name one from what I see here.

If I were going to buy one...and I've considered it for my future shop build project...I'd do the self-leveling better quality setup for sure. Consistency is important.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I installed cabinets, and did tile in houses I built, for decades before I had ever seen a laser level. I have several now, but still forget I have them sometimes, and do it the old way. If it's just one house, and you're not planning to do any more, I wouldn't put money in a laser level.

For big kitchens, I did use my Builders Level (optical on tripod), to mark the wall, so without one of those, the laser is okay.

I can lay tile on a floor, or wall, to a line, easier, and straighter than I can use the laser line. I use very fine lines. If they made finer laser beams, it would be better.

I find self-leveling to be an issue with my Bosch GLC 2-160. Not always easy, even though I use it with a tripod to get within 4 degrees for that to work. Do other units do that better?
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I find self-leveling to be an issue with my Bosch GLC 2-160. Not always easy, even though I use it with a tripod to get within 4 degrees for that to work. Do other units do that better?
    Yes, that is an unacceptable error in self leveling. I had an old Johnson (IIRK) that did something like that, got retired because I couldn't get it to align. I've not had any issues with the Dewalts, they are rated at 1/8" @ 100ft. The next price point up, Spectra (Trimble), Leica etc will have a lower, 1/16th of an inch at 100' or less. 4% is way to much.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Yes, that is an unacceptable error in self leveling. I had an old Johnson (IIRK) that did something like that, got retired because I couldn't get it to align. I've not had any issues with the Dewalts, they are rated at 1/8" @ 100ft. The next price point up, Spectra (Trimble), Leica etc will have a lower, 1/16th of an inch at 100' or less. 4% is way to much.
    I think he's saying he has to set the level up within 4 degrees of plumb for it to self level. That doesn't seem extreme to me. I assume nobody is laying these things on their side and expecting them to work. Anyone who can't eyeball something approximating level enough to put their beer on has had one too many to be doing carpentry work.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I think he's saying he has to set the level up within 4 degrees of plumb for it to self level. That doesn't seem extreme to me. I assume nobody is laying these things on their side and expecting them to work. Anyone who can't eyeball something approximating level enough to put their beer on has had one too many to be doing carpentry work.
    Ahh, very possible and that would be within the norm to get the self leveling to work.

Yes, the self-leveling feature only works if the level is within 4 degrees of plumb. But it seems very difficult to get to within that tolerance, for some reason.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I installed cabinets, and did tile in houses I built, for decades before I had ever seen a laser level. I have several now, but still forget I have them sometimes, and do it the old way. If it's just one house, and you're not planning to do any more, I wouldn't put money in a laser level.

For big kitchens, I did use my Builders Level (optical on tripod), to mark the wall, so without one of those, the laser is okay.
    Water levels still work just fine, more accurate than a laser. So do plumb bobs and 3-4-5 tape checks for square. I have a laser level for convenience, especially good for vertical spotting, but I can still manage to build level, plumb and square with dead batteries.

FWIW - I have the Bosch GLL2-50, purchase price approx. $125. It gets used primarily for cabinet installs and tile layouts but last year I used it to create level lines for door & window headers though out a 1600 SF remodel. It is "self plumbing" and is accurate and very repeatable/consistent. Because I'm anal I check everything with a bubble level as well and have never had any issue with the laser.