Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laser Level quality question

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Water levels still work just fine, more accurate than a laser. So do plumb bobs and 3-4-5 tape checks for square. I have a laser level for convenience, especially good for vertical spotting, but I can still manage to build level, plumb and square with dead batteries.
    IMHO, they both have a place. Consider the kitchen install that the OP is face with. The laser can provide an overall "level" within the room to get everything on the same plane, literally. And a mid- to high-range unit is pretty darn accurate when setup correctly. Yes, you can do that with a traditional level, but just having to move the level around the room can potentially introduce multiple opportunities for deviation. The laser gives you a single reference line within the whole spare all at once. The water level is still needed for fine/final confirmation when installing each component, but even there, the laser can plan a helpful role.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Sure, you can use a water level or a laser to mark an accurate level line around a room, then work off that to set the cabinet heights. The water level has the same accuracy no matter the distance though, and can even work around corners. Lasers are great, but not required.

I have the Dewalt DW088K and it's been excellent. I seem to use it for everything but proved itself golden when I gutted and tiled two small bathrooms. It took some serious abuse in those small rooms and is still kicking.

laser.jpg
    Last edited by fred everett; 03-31-2021 at 11:08 AM. Reason: turn photo
    Thanks,
    Fred

Seasoned professional possessing unremarkable proficiency at innumerable skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Sure, you can use a water level or a laser to mark an accurate level line around a room, then work off that to set the cabinet heights. The water level has the same accuracy no matter the distance though, and can even work around corners. Lasers are great, but not required.
    Lasers are so much simpler though, a water level needs the water holding level adjusted to transfer a mark at height. Normally that pain in the neck doesn't happen though, so you just use it to make level marks, then measure up or down from them to get your desired level marks. It's about 100% easier to just move the laser up or down. I normally just stick my Dewalt with the magnet base on a steel spring pole, no tripod required and gives full room height adjustability.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Lasers are so much simpler though, a water level needs the water holding level adjusted to transfer a mark at height. Normally that pain in the neck doesn't happen though, so you just use it to make level marks, then measure up or down from them to get your desired level marks. It's about 100% easier to just move the laser up or down. I normally just stick my Dewalt with the magnet base on a steel spring pole, no tripod required and gives full room height adjustability.
    I've also stuck the Dewalt's magnet to an outside corner bead. The OP said he plans on doing tile work and imo that's where these tools shine. With almost no tile layout lines to avoid I can trowel on adhesive very quickly. Having said that, I'm pretty sure the OP would find use for the laser in other areas considering he's doing a renovation.
    Thanks,
    Fred

Seasoned professional possessing unremarkable proficiency at innumerable skills.