Thread: Big Columns Small Lathe

Big Columns Small Lathe

Can a small lathe like he Nova Comet II handle turning nine 6”x6”x6’ columns by separating the tail stock and extension from the head? I’d like to avoid buying a lathe that’s bigger than I need just for this one project. Any suggestions for a different lathe I should be looking at? I’m upgrading from an old 9x30 Dunlap (if that makes a difference)

I appreciate any advice or feedback this forum has to offer. Thanks.
    -Jon

For what it is worth, I recall seeing a picture of one of the wise ones, it might have been David Ellsworth, doing bed posts with the tail stock end being a fixture on a wall and the head and bed of the lathe far enough to accommodate the length. I suppose if everything was secure and the work piece could not come out of the "lathe", if should be ok from a flying wood standpoint. How will you handle the tool rest when the work piece extends past the bed?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Grady View Post
    Can a small lathe like he Nova Comet II handle turning nine 6”x6”x6’ columns by separating the tail stock and extension from the head? I’d like to avoid buying a lathe that’s bigger than I need just for this one project. Any suggestions for a different lathe I should be looking at? I’m upgrading from an old 9x30 Dunlap (if that makes a difference)

I appreciate any advice or feedback this forum has to offer. Thanks.
    -Jon
    I have a friend who turned a long spindle by mounting the tailstock on a workbench. If you have access to a second lathe, you might use the tailstock from one with the headstock from the other.

One problem with a small lathe might be the power. A 6" spindle 6" long might bet pretty heavy depending on the wood species. Vibration while roughing it might cause a problem with a small lathe.

Another thing to consider is what to do for a tool rest if you have a gap between one lathe and the other. Some people have made a long, special-purpose tool rest from wood to span the entire length of the piece.

JKJ

What about making them in two 3'-pieces each, with a tenon on one piece and a recess in the other, joining in the midpoint of the column at a filet or something? Or three 2'-pieces for each column? My $0.02
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

You will be ahead of the game if you can find a pro with a long bed lathe to do it for you.

Why do you have 3 dimensions? Is it 6" by 6'? As JKJ said that would be extremely heavy for a little lathe. I would not think the motor would even spin that effectively, not to mention any out of balance is terminal. I think even a 3' section would be risky.
    I'm with Kevin. Find a pro with a column capable lathe.