Thread: Burned Blade Question

Burned Blade Question

I made the mistake of trying to cut 8/4 white oak with a Freud T40 10" Fusion blade, full kerf. I switched to my rip blade after that and had no issues. There is some burning on the blade though. Is the blade scrap, do I need to get it sharpened, or should I just go on using it for other things in the future?

Thanks!

Burning on the blade? Pics please

Pics would be good. However, first step would be to soak in some blade cleaner and then scrub with a brass brush and plenty of elbow grease. Can't imagine you generated enough heat to damage the blade or carbide or brazing. I've become a huge proponent of using rip and xcut blades instead of combos. You get much better cuts IMHO.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Those pics aren't showing a burnt blade, but rather accumulated pitch and crud. Blade cleaner will remove it, and you're good to go.

Surprised the Fusion didn't work but maybe it was already dirty? I've been impressed with the thin kerf Fusion on my PCS 1.75hp. But for deep rips, particularly on 120V saws, a rip blade is always a good idea. The grain of the wood can also make a big difference on how it cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    Surprised the Fusion didn't work but maybe it was already dirty? I've been impressed with the thin kerf Fusion on my PCS 1.75hp. But for deep rips, particularly on 120V saws, a rip blade is always a good idea. The grain of the wood can also make a big difference on how it cuts.

interesting, this was on a pcs 3hp.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Those pics aren't showing a burnt blade, but rather accumulated pitch and crud. Blade cleaner will remove it, and you're good to go.
    thank you.

I have the Full Kerf Freud Fusion blade and it is great in plywood and cuts less than 1" thick. I have had issues with burning cuts with some wood species especially Cherry.

It's not what you asked about, but I have started using a product for blade cleaning which you can find at Home Depot or Ace Hardware called Krud Kutter. Spray it on, let it do it's thing for 10 minutes or so and use a nylon scrub brush or toothbrush and the blade will look nice and clean. Rinse well, and wipe dry or blow off with compressed air. I think it's a good habit to keep blades clean.

I used to use the CMT branded blade cleaner spray. Some people swear by Awesome from the dollar stores too.

When I saw the photos of your blade, I went to grab my Krud Kutter spray like some kind of Pavlov response.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    When I saw the photos of your blade, I went to grab my Krud Kutter spray like some kind of Pavlov response.
    Hah, my next question was regarding a blade cleaner. I'll give Krud Kutter a try! Thanks!