Thread: Dust collector build

Dust collector build

I have been kicking around the idea of building a 10hp dust collector for my bosses shop which desperately needs it. Boss man said he would pay for it and pay me for building it. If we do this it will need to be at least 10hp as it will have to support a 150ft of 12” trunk line and around 15 various drops most of them being 6” all the way to the machines port. We would vent it out side behind our building.

With that being said, do any of you guys and gals have any links to a 10hp sized blower? We have several extra 10hp 240v 3ph motors laying around in various RPM’s. Surely one of them could be fabricated into a setup for a blower. All that I would need besides the blower would be pulleys and belts. At worst I would have to purchase a different 10hp 240v 3ph motor.

Could anyone make any suggestions and/or links on blowers?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Robbinett View Post
    I have been kicking around the idea of building a 10hp dust collector for my bosses shop which desperately needs it. Boss man said he would pay for it and pay me for building it. If we do this it will need to be at least 10hp as it will have to support a 150ft of 12” trunk line and around 15 various drops most of them being 6” all the way to the machines port. We would vent it out side behind our building.

With that being said, do any of you guys and gals have any links to a 10hp sized blower? We have several extra 10hp 240v 3ph motors laying around in various RPM’s. Surely one of them could be fabricated into a setup for a blower. All that I would need besides the blower would be pulleys and belts. At worst I would have to purchase a different 10hp 240v 3ph motor.

Could anyone make any suggestions and/or links on blowers?
    https://www.grainger.com/category/hv...tegoryIndex=13

^You can compare specs here^. Find one with or without motor; compare RPM; forward vs backward curved. You can also find offerings of belt drive units ... if that is a better fit to your existing motor options. Once you know what you want, you can expand search to other vendors for that specific unit, as/if necessary.

Edit: Sorry, 1st link units may be too small, try this .... https://www.grainger.com/category/hv...ncline-blowers
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 03-28-2021 at 8:31 AM.

In addition to sizing your blower and motor appropriately, you have to make the decision if you want the material to flow through the impeller (single stage) or to use pre-separation (cyclone) to avoid that. If you want/need accommodations like floor sweeps for general cleanup, you must use pre-separation. If this is high volume, pre-separation (cyclone) will likely be best served with an automated gate at the bottom so that material can be deposited into a dumpster like container, rather than a sealed drum. My point here is that with a large system like this, you have to fully design things to suit the need, especially for a commercial operation where downtime is verboten.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...