Thread: What glue should I use?

What glue should I use?

I have a tote off of a Stanley plane that has a complete break in the middle. It is a clean break that fits back together nicely.I would like it to stay original, that is why I would like to repair the tote.

What would be the best glue to use to repair the tote?

Epoxy?
    Titebond? 1, 2, 3??
    cyanoacrylate?

If it's wood to wood on a clean break as you describe, I'd use PVA glue. (Titebond flavor of your preference) Glue it up off the plane with appropriate clamping and you should be good to go. Let the glue fully cure (at least a day) before reassembling the plane.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I would use PVA glue of your choice but instead of trying to clamp it off the plane, reinstall and use the stud that holds the tote in place to clamp it. Check to see if light presssure will close the gap before you glue.

Agree with both Jim and Mike but would add to use a brush to apply the glue and be patient to work it into all the nooks and crannies. Allowing a minute or two to allow the wood to absorb the glue before clamping only works to your favor. I also like slow clamping in situations like these. Helps to squeeze it into said nooks and crannies. To be clear, I might take a full minute, slowly, slowly applying pressure, making sure everything is aligned perfectly, before I'm done.
    Last edited by Dave Zellers; 03-28-2021 at 11:30 PM.

If it’s an old rosewood one ( I like to use alliteration.....but strangely....I never litter!) wipe the breaks with denatured alcohol first to
    remove oil. Some modern glues might be OK without that , but having to reglue is a pain . Rosewood is oily.

Blog Entries
    I use Tite Bond glue and clamp the wood over night before using it.

I'd use epoxy. It's better at gap filling in case some of the break is not as clean as you think.

I also use epoxy, also. I think it's the best glue for rosewood and as Prashun said, it fills any gaps you might have.

I've glued a number of totes with epoxy and none have ever come apart.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.