Thread: What is this?

What is this?

This is an exquisitely turned walnut craft. But what is it? My brother bought this at an antique show recently in spite of the fact that no one knows what it is. It is all walnut. The ball is a bit over 2-1/2" in diameter, and apparently has been hollowed out, it is extremely light weight. The spindle is turned from walnut and apparently the top (?) and bottom sections are fastened some way inside the ball because the assembly is very rigid. The overall length is close to 9 inches. Very very well made, but what for?
    what is it.jpg
    Larry

A Christmas ornament?

Maybe, but there are no provisions for hanging... the little finial turning on top (if that's the top) is completely spherical.
    Larry

Drop spindle for turning loose roving into thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Loy View Post
    Maybe, but there are no provisions for hanging... the little finial turning on top (if that's the top) is completely spherical.
    A common shape and construction for a Christmas tree ornament.
    Google wood turned christmas ornaments pics and you see a lot of fancy ornaments but plenty that look very much like the one you have.
    What most do is drill a small hole in the top and mount a tiny screw eye to hold the hook or thread to hand it on the tree. I suppose you could tie a loop of fishing line or something to the top for hanging but that's almost never done.

BTW. I've made a number of drop spindles for spinning fiber and none are made like that. For one thing, they need a hook on the top to hold the yarn and a groove or something in the side to keep the spun yard in place while spinning. Google drop spindle pictures for examples.

JKJ

I agree it is a Christmas ornament. I have made several like that. I use the hook that John described.
    I thought a drop spindle had to have some weight to keep up the spinning momentum.

It could certainly make a good Christmas ornament for the color-blind. No messy painting! I think I've seen room
    partitions that had kind of lattice- ee decorative top with those things as added decoration. Can't remember what I was
    trying to google up at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Drop spindle for turning loose roving into thread.
    Thank you Jim. This looks like the best possibility so far. However, the angled steps on the spindle seem unusual because I have not been able to find any Google images that are similar; all examples show smooth shafts; maybe this was a new design prototype 'drop' spindle. Perhaps someone with spinning knowledge could confirm this functionality.
    Larry

I agree it is an ornament. Drop spindles are not as elaborate and all have a metal hook on the end. As an ornament it also would benefit from an eye screw for mounting but may have been used with a string tied on for mounting.

Larry -- I agree with the others who say this is a Christmas ornament. The 'icicle', the longer of the two spindles, is a classic Bob Rosand form. (I'm not saying Bob made the ornament. I'm saying it looks very similar to the ones I've seen him produce in demos and in video.)

I question whether the hollowed globe portion of the ornament was made of walnut. Often, the icicle and finial (top) portions of the ornament are made from a wood that contrasts with the globe. In this case, the globe in your photo is a little lighter in color than the other elements. I suspect that the wood used to make the globe has simply darkened with age, making it a close match for the other elements. Of course, you have it and have seen it up close, which I have not. So, I'm just guessing based on the photo and admit I could be wrong.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

A 9 inch Christmas ornament? For a Sequoia?

That is huge.

I wonder if it's just an decorative object with no functional purpose. As you've pointed out, it's delicate and well made and perhaps (like some hollow forms) just there just for the sake of its beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    A 9 inch Christmas ornament? For a Sequoia?

That is huge.

I'm not sure anyone ever said such ornaments are practical. Frequently they are displayed on an ornament stand rather than hung on a tree.

Here is the front cover of a book about making such ornaments. Many illustrated in the book are 9" or longer.

sp_tur_orn_and_egg_by_dic_sin.jpg
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Mystery solved! To all you guys who said 'Christmas Ornament', I'm now 100% sure that's right, thanks to David Wasler. Plus, I'm embarrassed to say (blame my senior eyesight) I overlooked an itty-bitty pinhole in the center of the top finial 'ball.' Obviously for a small screw eye or hook. But the book by Dick Sing is confirmation. Thank you all.
    Larry

I've made dozens of such ornaments. You want a drop spindle to be heavy to that it has momentum to twist the thread. (of course not so heavy that it breaks the thread. Every one I've ever seen is solid wood, many are additionally weighted with metal.

Drop spindles

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I've made dozens of such ornaments. You want a drop spindle to be heavy to that it has momentum to twist the thread. (of course not so heavy that it breaks the thread. Every one I've ever seen is solid wood, many are additionally weighted with metal.
    Another feature of drop spindles is a long straight shaft that can be spun between the hand and the leg. A friend said these are extremely common in some countries such as in various places she has been in South America. She said it was common to see a group of women on the road, all spinning as they walked to town. Today's spinning was next month's clothing.

I've made a bunch but gave them all away except for this one: Bloodwood and Dogwood. You can see the groove which keeps the fiber in place while spinning.

drop_spindle_comp.jpg

There are a variety of styles. I once made a "supported" spindle with a tiny lignum vitae bowl fastened to a very thin length of flat wood. It was used when seated, with the flat stick held between the leg and the seat. Tiny point on the working end made for spinning fine fibers.

BTW, there's a joke among spinners about the name which describes how often you drop it, especially when learning. A friend said she learned the hard way not to spin while on high bleachers.
    I can spin with a spinning wheel but I royally stink at the drop spindle.

JKJ