Thread: Big Tool Upgrade

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Big Tool Upgrade

Well I paid the tax man and have my hard earned money to spend. I do have a few questions/clarifications I am looking for to make sure I'm going the right direction.

#1 upgrade is the tablesaw. My trusty dewalt jobsite saw is awesome, but doesn't do everything I need for the direction I am heading. I'm pretty set on going with a Powermatic PM2000b for a wide variety of reasons. Yes, I did consider the sawstop. After careful consideration I would really prefer the Powermatic.

#2 Hand tools. I've been learning hand planing with a set of newer stanleys but they have some serious flaws. Would like to pick up a set from veritas. Am thinking bevel up jointer, low angle smooth, and a scraping plane. I really like my stanley low angle jack and figure those will fit in around it. Also considering a sharpening system. Any recommendations?

#3. New planer. I've got the dewalt 735 but am ready for a big step up. I'm considering the powermatic 209HH. I like working with a lot of figured wood and the 20" capacity is the largest I think I can afford and justify. Any experience with this? Other brands to consider?

#4. I need a light use bandsaw. For the pricepoint, the Laguna 14BX seems like the best bet. Good reviews and enough cut capacity to handle most anything I would feed it.

Any feedback/recommendation is greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Bryan Hall; 03-28-2021 at 1:24 AM.