Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Anti-Fatigue mat recommendations

Need Anti-Fatigue mat recommendations

I'm having issues with arthritis in my toe joints, seems to get exasperated on the days I spend hours in the shop. Would like to try a few mats, 3 around the workbench and 1 in front of the TS. I do wear good shoes that were recommended by my podiatrist, so the mats will supplement those. Does anyone have experience with a brand of mat that they can recommend? I have done a fair amount of reading on mats, but the selection out there is kind of mind boggling. Floor is concrete.
    Last edited by Bob Johnson2; 03-27-2021 at 2:38 PM.

Sombra is a great product for relief from arthur, buy it off of ebay this is for a 2oz to try. I buy 32oz at a time
    Sombra's Original Warm Therapy Pain Relieving Gel 2oz Jar (FREE SHIPPING) | eBay
    good luck
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    Sombra is a great product for relief from arthur, buy it off of ebay this is for a 2oz to try. I buy 32oz at a time
    Sombra's Original Warm Therapy Pain Relieving Gel 2oz Jar (FREE SHIPPING) | eBay
    good luck
    Ron
    Thanks Ron, for $8 I'll give it a shot.

Blog Entries
    I use the interlocking tiles intended for children’s play area’s that Sam’s Club sells. They are inexpensive, three eights of an inch thick and I have some I’ve been using for well over a decade.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have cow mats, some called horse mats from tractor supply. I like them and been using for at least 10 years.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I use the interlocking tiles intended for children’s play area’s that Sam’s Club sells. They are inexpensive, three eights of an inch thick and I have some I’ve been using for well over a decade.
    I use those also. I think you can buy "grown up" versions that are grey, but they are identical to the colored ones and compatible as well. I have some of both, I think the kids versions were usually cheaper.

They are nice to work on, and you can make long strips in from of banks of tools.

I also have some old oriental style rugs that I use.

+1 and they are pretty cheap. My comment was directed at the stall matts
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Are there beveled edges on the stall matts? if not, does the edge cause a trip issue?

No beveled edges and I suppose if you have employees you might be concerned although I never was.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I have the 2x2 interlocking mats in my shop and work to keep my back from getting too upset.

For arthritis joints, I use Voltaren and works well.

All of the anti-fatigue mats I have in my shop originally came from ULine and I've been very satisfied with them. They can be had in a variety of sizes to fit the individual needs. For personal reasons, I'm looking for a new source of the same for the new shop, but I will not get into that here because it would be against the TOS.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

+2 for the horse stall mats. We did our home gym with them and I used the leftover pieces in front of my workbench. Cheap and no complaints. My wife has a purpose-made anti-fatigue mat in the kitchen but I find it too compliant.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Johnson2 View Post
    I'm having issues with arthritis in my toe joints, seems to get exasperated on the days I spend hours in the shop. Would like to try a few mats, 3 around the workbench and 1 in front of the TS. I do wear good shoes that were recommended by my podiatrist, so the mats will supplement those. Does anyone have experience with a brand of mat that they can recommend? I have done a fair amount of reading on mats, but the selection out there is kind of mind boggling. Floor is concrete.
    I have the same setup in my basement shop. I have 1 additional mat in front of the lathe. I bought these or something very like these at Woodcraft many years ago. I didn't pay anything near what they are priced at now though. They do cushion my feet (I'm prone to flair ups of plantar fasciitis and also a stiff back). I'd love to put in one of the interlocking mat floors but I have a small shop and I occasionally need to move the mats to move machines.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I have had two kinds, ones with holes and ones without. Both work for cushioning. The holes catch sawdust and are hard get dust free when vacuuming. I have to move it, vacuum underneath, vacuum the backside, flip it over, vacuum the top. Sometimes repeat. Even the smooth ones catch dust around the edges. Mine have a tapered edge that curls up just a bit so dust gets underneath. My main problem is sensitivity to dust so I try to clean up dust that can be stirred up and become airborne from floors and work surfaces frequently.

I have had two kinds, ones with holes and ones without. Both work for cushioning. The holes catch sawdust and are hard get dust free when vacuuming. I have to move it, vacuum underneath, vacuum the backside, flip it over, vacuum the top. Sometimes repeat. Even the smooth ones catch dust around the edges. Mine have a tapered edge that curls up just a bit so dust gets underneath. My main problem is sensitivity to dust rather than knees or feet. I try to clean up frequently.