Thread: On asking questions

On asking questions

I saw Bob Jones’ post about asking questions on the metal working forum and got a chuckle. Neander woodworkers are quick to try to help, I believe. Sometimes we get odd questions and people always try to help. I got to thinking about odd questions we could be asked like “What saw do I use to cut oak “ or for electrical, “What size wire do I use for 220v” or for the metal worker, “What size screw to use in sheet metal” or for the cook “What seasoning should I use for beef”. All these questions would get some kind of answer here. Maybe not on other forums. Neanders are just different. What do you think😀? Bob’s question was not bad but machinists think different. They make jokes about how we measure and consider it to be accurate. Using a tape measure is called woodworker precision and things like that.
    Last edited by James Pallas; 03-27-2021 at 12:08 PM.

Most of us are trying to keep a tradition alive.

Welders, machinists and electricians have ready access to basic training.

I think handtool woodworkers recall the frustrating absence of instruction and remain willing to at least point toward the archive.

I think people in general who frequent SMC are appreciative of the help they get here, and like to try and help others. The Neander community has been especially good to me.

When I read Bob's post, I didnt take the lack of response as a snub. I took it as there arent many folks particpating there. Of course I could be dead wrong. And as usual, the Neanders came tgrough with help!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I don’t think it was a snub. I took it as not enough info to form a conclusion and give an answer. A saw plate to neanders would generally mean a handsaw plate. To others it could mean any type of saw. Saw plates to a metal worker would be a slitting saw that is a hardened steel cutter or a cut off saw plate which require different treatments. When I first read the post I thought of a circular saw plate. Again requiring other methods. Bobs question was of course legitimate but different meanings for different uses.

Blog Entries
    I believe. Sometimes we get odd questions and people always try to help. I got to thinking about odd questions we could be asked like “What saw do I use to cut oak “ or for electrical, “What size wire do I use for 220v” or for the metal worker, “What size screw to use in sheet metal” or for the cook “What seasoning should I use for beef”. All these questions would get some kind of answer here. Maybe not on other forums. Neanders are just different. What do you think��?
    To me the Neanderthal name is a misnomer.

This forum is more a collection of Renaissance Man types. We are woodworkers who also work metal not only to take care of our own tools but at times to refurbish an old neglected tool. Some of us make our own tools. Many of us sharpen our own saws. We undertake various activities with a crossover effect toward our general knowledge base.

BTW, for seasoning beef you can't go wrong with savory, a dash of sage, garlic and a splash of Worcestershire sauce. For a real thrill, chop some mushrooms into the pot.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

As Jim said, “We are woodworkers who also ....“ Indeed! After our very unusual deep freeze in mid Feb, the plumbers replaced the burst pipes, but then I learned that they don’t insulate those new pipes...not their trade, or words to that effect. So, this woodworker had to go cross-skill and wrap two runs of pipe and lay in about 150 cu ft of fiberglass insulation. At least the drywall folks insulated behind their patches. No dovetails were used ...

I too think that there is a lot of talent on this forum. There are people from every trade on it. The thing that brings us together is the woodworking. One of my favorites on U tube is Engels Coach Shop. That Dave is very talented. He’s mostly a wheelwright but does it all, woodwork, smithing, metal working of all kinds on a recent show he made a leather top for a buggy. Broke out the antique sewing machine and went to work. Great respect I have for people like him and many people on this forum for their knowledge and abilities. Jim forgot that red chili for his beef recipe.

Blog Entries
    My wife doesn't like peppers of any kind.

That doesn't keep me from buying the big 40 oz jar of fire roasted green chilis at Costco.

They get used in my beef stew all the time since Candy won't eat beef stew most of the time. She hates cooked carrots but won't eat stew even if it doesn't have carrots.

Last time was made with stew beef from Costco. USDA Prime grade makes a difference in the stew.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My wife doesn't like peppers of any kind.

That doesn't keep me from buying the big 40 oz jar of fire roasted green chilis at Costco.

They get used in my beef stew all the time since Candy won't eat beef stew most of the time. She hates cooked carrots but won't eat stew even if it doesn't have carrots.

Last time was made with stew beef from Costco. USDA Prime grade makes a difference in the stew.

jtk
    I’m with you on that excuse. My wife says I would eat green chili on ice cream if I wasn’t afraid of being locked up. Not quite true but almost.🤪

Sometimes, tools for working wood get used elsewhere...
    The Shed Project, Disston Crosscut saw.JPG
    Like cutting a foundation for...
    The Shed Project, 4 walls standing.JPG
    A metal shed.....4+ hours for today....work on a roof, tomorrow...

Got too dehydrated today....trip to ER to fix that....scratch awl to help locate a few holes.....yep, got poked once , so there is now some fresh DNA on the project...

I think as a group we are already, or deep into training to become, that old guy at the back of smalltown hardware stores who knows how to do everything and knows the other things you will be back for later today to finish your project if you don't buy them now.

My favorite herb for beef is thyme.

James, I was a little sheepish to ask how to cut a saw plate, I'll admit. I don't think I rise to the august title of Renaissance Man (unlike Mr. Koepke). My "metalworking" skills only began to expand when I undertook to refurbish some centenarian Stanleys a couple of years ago, and they remain frozen there.

But there's no doubt about the lengths the folks here will go to to help someone, no matter how simple or naïve the question. I just read two outstanding examples in other people's threads near the top today. And the answers always come with respect and kindness. I never cease to be grateful.

To that end, one Creeker heard my distress cry and offered to send me a 0.025" plate of spring steel in exactly the length and width I want. How about that? To maintain that member's privacy, I won't disclose who it was, but the generosity blew me away.

No aspersions cast upon our metalworking experts, but I'll stick to the Neander side of the forum from now on.

Steven, a project without fresh DNA is just not right.