Thread: Miter trimmer

Miter trimmer

I need a miter trimmer for cockbeading on a project.
    I’ve looked (on my phone) at some and the one from Rockler looks the same as the one from Highland Woodworking. Hard to tell on my small screen if there are subtle differences.
    I need it soon and will buy this new.
    Any recommendations?

Thanks Mark

Wow, those are pricey. I found a Dosch (1920-30) in mint condition on Craigslist for $40. Heavy cast iron, rock solid fences and razor sharp blades. They pop up fairly often. They’re great tools and I can see why you’d want one. Can’t tell you about the modern ones, but they’re simple tools so I imagine the differences among them to be minimal, probably limited to the quality of the casting and blades. Lee Valley sells one and they always stand behind their products.

see Morso for sale from time to time. Have a habit of buying stuff when I dont need it and usually works well. Its here when needed and usually from a time when the price was right.

I’ve got a vintage Lion miter trimmer - perfect for that work.

Matt - do you have a place that will sharpen the lion knives? The company is out of biz - they used to do sharpening

I used a Lion Miter Trimmer for a long time, but after I bought a shooting plane, I sold the miter trimmer, knowing that I would never use it again. I like the shooting board setup Much better.

I think most sharpening places can do it, but give a call first to check.

I’d be pretty certain that Bobby at Woodworkerstoolworks can do it. He can sharpen just about anything! And has been supporting vintage machinery for decades with blades, sharpening, belts, tires, etc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    see Morso for sale from time to time. Have a habit of buying stuff when I dont need it and usually works well. Its here when needed and usually from a time when the price was right.
    The morso trimmers are reasonably priced on the used market.

I have the Lion Miter Trimmer as well and it does make pristine cuts. Keep in mind, it’s best to do a rough cut first, then finish on the Miter Trimmer. For cock beading, which is generally small and thin pieces, I find it just as easy to rough cut the miter, then sneak up on the fit with a donkey ear shooting board and Veritas sanding shooter.

2BA20830-69FE-4A0A-87F3-2DB87749F4AE.jpg

I’ve also just used a shooting plane, but on small pieces, you have to be real careful to avoid blow out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I used a Lion Miter Trimmer for a long time, but after I bought a shooting plane, I sold the miter trimmer, knowing that I would never use it again. I like the shooting board setup Much better.
    I was wondering about that exact thing, because I have a shooting plane too. Thanks Tom!
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 03-27-2021 at 8:29 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Well I just looked and they do look the same to me. I note that Highland (where I'd prefer to buy) says its out of stock.

I got mine at a garage sale and use it all the time.

Thanks Phil, I had never heard of a sanding shooter before, I'm going to check out Lee Valley's website right now.

Mark,
    Have you taken a look at ebay?

Vintage Lion Miter Trimmer Universal Cutter no.4 Pootatuck Corp Shelton Conn

1 viewed per hour

Condition:
    Used

Needs cleaning and one of the guides is not original but good condition

Price:
    US $95.00
    Ed