Thread: Impeller for Bill Pentz Cyclone (5 hp motor)

Impeller for Bill Pentz Cyclone (5 hp motor)

I have decided to scrap my plan of ducting my current Delta 50-850 outside and just build myself a Bill Pentz cyclone. I will be using the suggested Leeson 5 hp motor for the build but I am having trouble sourcing an impeller.

Clearvue is not selling impellers any more, when I call the machine shop in California that was making impellers for Mr. Pentz the phone just keeps ringing, and when I called Sheldon's Engineering they had no clue what I was talking about.

Those seem to be all of the sources available for a 15"+ inch impeller on the build website.

Has anyone sourced an impeller recently, if so can you share where you sourced it?

Thanks you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Julio Vargas View Post
    I have decided to scrap my plan of ducting my current Delta 50-850 outside and just build myself a Bill Pentz cyclone. I will be using the suggested Leeson 5 hp motor for the build but I am having trouble sourcing an impeller.

Clearvue is not selling impellers any more, when I call the machine shop in California that was making impellers for Mr. Pentz the phone just keeps ringing, and when I called Sheldon's Engineering they had no clue what I was talking about.

Those seem to be all of the sources available for a 15"+ inch impeller on the build website.

Has anyone sourced an impeller recently, if so can you share where you sourced it?

Thanks you in advance.
    Can you use a belt driven blower? If so, Grainger has your ticket. You can buy blower with / without the motor. By sizing motor, and sheaves, you adjust the CFM, and static pressure

What is the budget ? I've built 3 "shop built" cyclones now , all 2 or 3 HP . I'm wondering what the final cost will be , what you may have , what you need to find . It adds up fast . A good source for an impeller is Grizzly , parts are available for all models . Shaft diameter can be hard to determine , not impossible . Clear Vue is basically parts , you could just do that . Good luck with it .

Hi, thank you for taking the time to respond. I want to clarify that in all of the discussion here I am not complaining that Mr. Pentz doesn't have an impeller available. I emailed him and he was kind enough to respond back saying that all of his sources for impellers no longer have them available. He has gone through considerable trouble to seek out suppliers but all have not been able to continue to supply impellers for different reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Can you use a belt driven blower? If so, Grainger has your ticket. You can buy blower with / without the motor. By sizing motor, and sheaves, you adjust the CFM, and static pressure
    I can used a belt driven motor if needed. I was hoping to just follow Mr. Pentz's plans that have everything figured out already so I was hoping to just used the 5 hp. leeson motor he uses along with his suggested (apparently non-existent) impeller. All of the engineering and testing has been done and confirmed. If I do go a slightly different route I would have to seriously consider just buying a clearvue system when I account for my time and materials to put together a solution from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by james manutes View Post
    What is the budget ? I've built 3 "shop built" cyclones now , all 2 or 3 HP . I'm wondering what the final cost will be , what you may have , what you need to find . It adds up fast . A good source for an impeller is Grizzly , parts are available for all models . Shaft diameter can be hard to determine , not impossible . Clear Vue is basically parts , you could just do that . Good luck with it .
    My budget is about half of what it would cost for a clearvue system. A CVMax system is about $2600 shipped, so $1300 budget. I don't have anything on hand besides the tools and skills to fabricate. I would hire out the cutting of the sheetmetal but can form and solder together.

Leeson motor: $500
    Impeller: $300
    Cyclone materials and cost to have cut: $300
    Miscellaneous materials: $200

The sticking point is the impeller here. You bring up a very good point, if I can find an impeller in the Grizzly lineup, I think they have a very robust supply chain for parts. I would need one that is 15-16" and has the appropriate 7/8" bore that can use with the leeson motor. I am going to investigate a bit more and discuss with Mr. Pentz to see how the option below may work.

Grizzly P0672008V2 - IMPELLER 15" V2.09.12 $324

I also looked around the Grizzly DC's , and most are out of stock for now , except the one you've noted . I wish you luck with your build .

Julio,
    I have a 15" impeller for sale in the classified section. I had it up previously, but it looks like the post expired.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Runde View Post
    Julio,
    I have a 15" impeller for sale in the classified section. I had it up previously, but it looks like the post expired.
    Posts do not expire in the Classifieds. We do remove them if an item is sold or upon request from the original poster. If your ad has been there for a long time, it may have scrolled back a bunch of pages.

Jim
    Forum Moderator