Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chemical and Heat Resistance Results: Part II

Roger, buffing out the Target Coatings products requires a lighter touch than with oil based products because of the heat generated. It should also cure for 14-30 days first, too. (technically, that's a good practice for oil based products, too) I ran into this with my first guitar body, learned the lesson, fixed the finish and then did buff it out and subsequent bodies just fine.

-----

Prashun, I think you're correct that the heat is the bigger culprit!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Well I got it to fail. I put a hot teacup on the spot and let it puddle. Frankly I don’t think it was the water but the heat that caused the fail. The top layer turned hazy, then opaque, then scratched off.
    Thanks very much for doing the test, Prashun. I think you are right that it's the heat, but this is a typical thing that can happen as my friend's wife proved on his beautiful dining room table finished with EnduroVar. If you review TC's test data you'll see they never test for this common failure mode. I don't know if GF does either, so I'm not picking on TC, just pointing out that there's just no way to be sure a finish is bulletproof until you do your own testing. And each of us gets to choose what they think is OK for their own needs.

As I said, I'll test another sample of EM-8000 with 10% CL. If that fails the hot water/mug test it will go on my do not use for critical applications list, along with many others.

John

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I tried some 8000cv on a couple of turned pieces as an experiment. Let them dry a few weeks and then tried to buff them with a Beale buffing system. The heat from the buffer melted the top layer of the finish right off, like peeling the fine skin from an onion. What a mess! It's back to oil-based poly for that application for me!
    Roger, EM-8000CV feels pretty soft to me, much softer than GF's Enduro Clear Poly. I think you'd be happy buffing out that product after a 7 day cure.

John

I retested EM-8000CV, this time with 10% Cross Linker which is the upper end of the 5 - 10% TC recommends for that product. I only did the hot water test because that has shown to be the most difficult for EM-8000CV. If it passed that, I planned to do the other testing. Sadly, it did not. Here's the coffee mug with boiling water and 2 ml of that water drooled down the side.

After 1 hour:

After drying and 1 hour more:

Not much I need to add.

John