Following on from the prior post, I tested the resistance of EM-8000CV + 4% Crosslinker as well as GF's Enduro Clear Poly. First the hot water, bourbon and Windex tests. EM-8000CV + CL is on the left, Enduro Clear Poly on the right.

In this photo taken 30 minutes after the start you can see how the bourbon (on the lower left) and Windex wet out onto the EM-8000CV+CL specimen, just as it did w/o CL, while they stay beaded up on the Enduro Clear Poly (and EnduroVar in the prior test). After 1 hour they looked like this:

After wiping them dry:

These two specimens were like opposites. Everything wet the wood through the EM-8000CV + 4% CL and the hot water and bourbon left white rings on it. With the Enduro Clear Poly, only the Windex wet through to the wood. The hot water left a faint dull ring which you can't see in the photo, while the bourbon had no affect.

Moving on to the 350F hot cup test:

After cooling to room temperature you can see a faint picking on the Enduro Clear Poly specimen. You also can better see the ghost ring from the hot water test at the top of the photo:

And you see more picking on the EM-8000CV + 4% CL, as well as a very pronounced white ring from the hot water test.

These results left me very disappointed. I used to use EnduroVar and Enduro Clear Poly for most projects, but recently switched to EM-8000CV for a tabletop because I thought it would have higher durability. These results do not suport that conclusion; in fact, it's not nearly as good as either of the other two products. It was better after adding the Crosslinker, but still not as good as the other two. Shame on me for not testing it first. And I guess I won't be surprised if I get a call.

In summary no waterborne finish I have tested is as durable to some chemicals and heat as Arm-R-Seal. Some aren't even very resistant to hot water. But before you think ARS is bulletproof, I once had to repair a piece done with ARS the owner had left a leaky can of Scrubbing Bubbles on, which chewed right through to bare wood after a few days.

Of the waterborne finishes I have tested EnduroVar has the best overall performance in terms of resistance to water, chemicals, and heat.

John