Thread: Top coat over mineral oil

Top coat over mineral oil

A friend of mine had installed a butcher block countertop and wiped on mineral oil. She is not going to be cutting on it. It’s a built in bar top. What’s the best way to put a finish on it. No way to spray. I’m concerned about the mineral oil.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Let it sit for a few weeks then use an oil based varnish. If you can't wait then wipe it a few times with mineral spirits or Naptha and then proceed with the varnish.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    ...I’m concerned about the mineral oil.
    I’d think this is the critical issue. I’m not aware of a way to remove it, and presumably it never dries. So that leaves putting something compatible on top of it — best I can think of is a mix of beeswax & mineral oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    I’d think this is the critical issue. I’m not aware of a way to remove it, and presumably it never dries. So that leaves putting something compatible on top of it — best I can think of is a mix of beeswax & mineral oil.
    I agree, sometimes you read that turpentine is also in.

Somebody told me that while mineral oil doesnt dry like BLO or tung oil, it does evaporate. For example, Pledge being mostly MO, doesnt just permanently stay on the surface of finished furniture, it goes away. Anybody know that to be true or hear otherwise? If true, I think you could still give it some time to evaporate after trying the chemical wipe-off techniques.

Waterlox specifically addresses application over mineral oil on their website:

"Waterlox Original Tung oil finishes can be applied over mineral or vegetable oil after the countertop has aged for a minimum of 30 days in adequate ventilation. Waterlox will provide superior protection against use and common household spills and will be water resistant."

I assume this would hold true at least for other oil based varnishes if not a broader range of finishes.

Thanks all. I appreciate the help.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Wouldn't recommend Waterlox to be applied in an interior space without a lot of ventilation for several days or even a solid week. I've applied it over tung with no issues, I'd imagine mineral oil is similar.